Questions about Rough Night at the Three Feathers

The thousand threads
Bitsa

I'm thinking of running this one-shot shortly, but after reading it there are a few things I'm not sure about:

- what is the ideal number of PCs for it, and how experienced should they be? If the ideal number of PCs isn't 2, but if I run it with only 2, how experienced should they be?

- the Gravin's men seal off the corridor, with the text saying guards are stationed at the location marked 'x', but I can't see an 'x' on the map....
I assume they are in the corridor between rooms e and empty d....but the players are quite likely to be in f or g, and their room is used for dumping dead bodies in by other parties during the night - how can the dumping happen with the guards standing where I assume they stand? (they'll see anyone going into f or g)
On a related note how can Rechtshandler, in room c, dump a body in another room when there are guards in the corridor?

- it doesn't explicitly say what the servant coming down the chimney will do if not detected. I assume attempt to murder the replacement champion?

- the Gravin orders the PC's "weapons and equipment" confiscated - I assume this includes armour?

Is the guards in the corridor/body dumping issue just an error in the text? Just something you have to deal with?
If so I think I would move Ursula from room r to n or g, declare r to be a double room, and have the PCs occupy some combination of rooms m/p/r, which are out of sight and hearing of guards posted between d and e. Reasonable?

This doesn't solve Rechtshandler's body dumping woes. Perhaps be could be moved from c to e and e's door could be shifted around the corner to be located opposite the door of g, so he could exit without the guards seeing him... Not great but I'm not sure what else is possible.

Bitsa

No-one familiar with it? I thought it was pretty well known and popular?
Jadrax

I put the guards between room d and the empty e; but I had them retire at 10 along with everyone else. I think this is how it is intended as when the attempted horsewhipping occurs at 11:30 all the Gravin's men are unarmed and unarmoured.
Bitsa

Jadrax wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:53 am I put the guards between room d and the empty e; but I had them retire at 10 along with everyone else. I think this is how it is intended as when the attempted horsewhipping occurs at 11:30 all the Gravin's men are unarmed and unarmoured.
That's true, they are...

It would solve the problem if they just weren't there. I just feel a bit funny leaving the Gravin unguarded, but that's the simplest solution, I think I'll do the same, thanks Jadrax.

Do you have any suggestions for how many characters and their experience levels?
Jadrax

The problem with answering that is character's can be so widely different with regard to careers tat nay answer is pretty much meaningless. I think ideal you need at least one character who has been through a obvious combat career to be the replacement champion. If you only had two PCs I would probably add a third NPC to the group to round it out. I have run it a with three and 4 PCs, I think both were about midway trough their second career.

TBH, it's a french farce, its not very skill/combat heavy.
skerrigan

That said having the Champion be the weediest party member presents amusing possibilities.

"Me? Fight a duel? A gong farmer? Why didn't you choose Theo the Pit Fighter here?"
"DO NOT QUESTION THE GRAVINE!"
Verdant Castellan of Bretonnia and Purveyor of the Perilous Realm Podcast
Jadrax

skerrigan wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:37 am That said having the Champion be the weediest party member presents amusing possibilities.

"Me? Fight a duel? A gong farmer? Why didn't you choose Theo the Pit Fighter here?"
Oh yes, and then you could see that being passed over for the Gong Farmer making a Dwarf Slayer really, really irate.
Karanthir

skerrigan wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:37 am That said having the Champion be the weediest party member presents amusing possibilities.

This is the obvious Warhammer thing to do!
skerrigan

Or have both aggreived parties actually be involved separately in some kind of insurance/legal scam whereby they hire the worst pair of opposed Champions ever and have them flail around ineffectually.

"Ah, Gravine, I see your champion smells slightly of dung."
"And Herr Baron I'm surprised your champion is a blind shepherd."
Karanthir wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:08 am This is the obvious Warhammer thing to do!
Verdant Castellan of Bretonnia and Purveyor of the Perilous Realm Podcast
Karanthir

I really need to get round to running this now.
makrellen

I absolutely love this scenario - I must have run it at least 3 times by now :-)

One word of advise: Make a simple timeline on a piece of paper with just the headlines of each event. There are so many things happening at the same time that it's super easy to forget one event.

And don't be surprised if your players simply give up trying make heads or tails of the events at some point and just go with the flow - I think that has happened at some point all three times for me :-)