Edition Backwards Compatibility

The thousand threads
Hyarion

One change I really liked in 4th edition was how they split Ag into Initiative, Agility, and Dexterity. It leads to less "inadvertent excellence" like a character who is good with his hands is also able to scale sheer surfaces like a lizard. Obviously 2e was not written with this in mind, but are there any thoughts regarding how to bring this development backwards into 2e characters?

Let's imagine a sample character Karl the Entertainer which allows for 2 advances in Ag.

We could require Karl take 2 advances across those three statistics in any combination he chose and call it done.
Although there is a potential downside in that what if Karl's player wants to take more advances and advance I, Ag, and Dex each twice? Other players could complain that some careers (those with more Ag advances) are more powerful because they allow a player to advance more powerfully.

Other thoughts or suggestions?
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
Jadrax

For basic careers, you could rule that the career can only advance the Stat that has the most linked skills: That way it would not throw of balance in terms of advancing stats. Advance careers ar not that balanced anyway so you could probably just allow all three.
Hyarion

Excellent idea, Jadrax, thanks!
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.