Introduction

The thousand threads
Hedge_Knight_79

Hi! I'm very glad to have found this forum!

I'm a longtime WFRP fan and have played 2nd ed the most. I've just recently started GM'ing a new campaign after over a decade away from the game.

So nice to see a community of WFRP fans still gathering!

Anyway, in case anyone is curious I'm running a campaign in Mordheim, 2000 IC, in the months following the comet. My friends and I are all big fans of Mordheim skirmish and we've all tapped out on the circa 2500 IC setting in previous campaigns with other groups.

So... I'm kind of drawing a lot of inspiration from the old Mordheim publications and translating it into 2nd ed. Having a great time so far!
Karanthir

I really like the idea of doing something set in Mordheim (would be 3rd ed for me), so I'd definitely be interested in hearing what you've come up with.
Hedge_Knight_79

Hey, thanks for the response.

My group is 3 sessions in at this point, so we're still in my 'intro' chapter. I'm loosely planning for about a year of campaign, and we play bi-weekly.

All of us in my group have played Mordheim together or separately in the past, so we had a common familiarity to start. When we agreed to the campaign idea, I wrote out a cast of characters and the camps they occupy around Mordheim's ruins.

I was kind of inspired by a mix of watching Deadwood, Black Sails, and the old Michael Caine movie The Last Valley (which is about the Thirty Years' War). Mordheim to me seems to have similarities to a frontier gold rush, but with the sensibilities of pirate crews and the organizational style of early-modern period mercenary companies (which is foundational to Warhammer Fantasy anyway).

I then spent my prep month re-reading the core Mordheim book and taking notes on the background. I also found a lot of other supplemental Mordheim publications like Town Cryer and the 2002 Annual online at the Broheim site.

I revised some of my camps' names when I realized Mordheim already had canonical camps occupying the same niches I had in mind, ranging from semicivilized Sigmarhaven to the vile Cuthroat's Den.

I also started working in setting characters and statting them out, in addition to the characters I had created myself. For example, Luthor Wolfenbaum, the in-universe narrator of the Mordheim rules is an NPC guide my players met in session 2. But, I've also created a bunch of mercenary captains who each run the coalition of bands from their home province. So, there's a head captain from Marienberg, Middenland, Reikland, etc.

I'm finally at the point where I'm introducing some minor antagonists for the party to play off of, and I'm planning for other ones to get introduced as things go along, a bit like one of those shows. Some will be from the lore, some my own.

I'm trying to work a little ahead but design for my needs about 1-2 sessions out. I'm also working in a loose timeline that the story will operate in, based on the Mordheim rulebook, the section from Tome of Corruption about the Shadow Lord, and my own feelings about how things unfold. From my readings, it seems like the wyrdstone rush lasted about 12-18 months tops, but had a bunch of secret conspiracy stuff happening around the edges that could have destroyed the Empire (well, worse than it already was).

Oh, and I'm making maps of the camps and settlements as I go, so I have 'home base' locations. I plan to treat Mordheim itself like a big dungeon that the players visit episodically, so I'll make detail maps as we go. There was a pretty good map of the overall city in one of the Town Cryers that I'm basing that on.

I also created some 'boon' cards to incentivize taking the first career a player rolled, while still giving them the choice to pick a career of they really wanted. But, if they picked they got no boon and no free advance. The boons are basically extra starting advantages thst also serve as story hooks, like having a connection in camp.

That's pretty much where I'm at, and this is getting to be a long post. Hope it's useful!
Karanthir

That all sounds awesome! Thanks!
KarlFranzImperius

New here too. Shame about StS but I'm happy this lives on! I'd been using Winds for a while for other material.