Enemy Within Updates (plus other stuff)

The enemy lurks in shadows
FasterThanJesus

Hi guys,

Current events have had me distracted and after finally checking Drive Thru RPG today, it turns out I have two developer diaries I hadn't received an email for :roll:

The most interesting info is that a new subplot has been created from The Restless Dead and Carrion up the Reik which will appear in the companions for DotR and PBtT.

Apparently the timeline of events for DotR has been reordered to make a life a little easier.

The Companion will also contain trading rules, as expected, info on the Red Crown (hopefully more fulfilling than the Purple Hand), more Tzeentch lore, river boat handling. Nothing really unexpected.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

If it's a (single) scenario from The Restless Dead then i guess it would be 'Grapes Of Wrath', which was designed to fit in between Death on the Reik and Power Behind the Throne, though all the adventures in The Restless Dead have notes on how to include them in The Enemy Within, and a number of those suggest doing so in Death on the Reik or in between Death on the Reik and Power Behind the Throne.

I'm apprensive about the idea of re-ordering for the sake of making things easier. Is that a necessary gamble with the material? Of course it might be great.
FasterThanJesus

Yes, you're correct about Grapes of Wrath, however, I got the feeling that a little more may be taken from The Restless Dead, but that might just be my interpretation. I remember us playing TRD instead of SRiK (our GM just winged it :))

Graeme Davis claimed the reordering is based upon feedback over the years from some people who have found it to be a little confusing. No other info was given.
Zisse

Was there any info on timing?
FasterThanJesus

Zisse wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:04 am Was there any info on timing?
Release dates and such?

What we got is that the artwork is almost complete for the DotR with layout to follow (this is from the previous dev diary, so probably March since nobody likes putting dates on things any more). It looks like the Companion will follow on, so likely the same as volume 1 with a month gap. I have no better info, sorry.
Theo

FasterThanJesus wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:34 am Yes, you're correct about Grapes of Wrath, however, I got the feeling that a little more may be taken from The Restless Dead, but that might just be my interpretation. I remember us playing TRD instead of SRiK (our GM just winged it :))
We already had two of the adventures from The Restless Dead in the Enemy in Shadows companion ("On the Road" and "Affair of the Hidden Jewel"). I agree that "The Grapes of Wrath" is the likeliest candidate for the new pick - of the others, "Night of Blood" and "Rough Night at the Three Feathers" have already been updated for 4E, and neither "Eureka!", "The Ritual" nor "The Haunting Horror" seem like obvious choices.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

I think 'The Ritual' is a possibility, given its protagonists and the finale in DotR.
FasterThanJesus

I was forgetting Night of Blood was in there. Now I'm going to have to read through TRD again and see if I can read anything more into Graeme Davis' offhand vague statement.
Gideon

The reordering might just refer to a reorganisation of the text without changing the sequence of events. I have pointed out before some problems with the organisation (eg https://awesomeliesblog.wordpress.com/2 ... ggers-cut/), and there was similar reorganisation in Enemy in Shadows. Would that explanation fit the context?
Zisse

Gideon, I just reread your blog post. I fully agree with your assessments.
IMHO C7 should get Death on the Reik done fast and get to the really interesting parts.
As an owner of the originals, still I am looking forward to all the new versions and I do not regret at all buying the two enemy in Shadow books.
In the end though, what counts for me is the horned rat and to some extent empire in ruins. I was happy with Empire in flames, but understand there can be improvement. Same with the Power behind the throne.

I do like the new style and the improvement in enemy in shadows. I also like the other new WFRP adventures from C7. Hence, I am looking forward with high expectations.
FasterThanJesus

Gideon wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:00 am The reordering might just refer to a reorganisation of the text without changing the sequence of events. I have pointed out before some problems with the organisation (eg https://awesomeliesblog.wordpress.com/2 ... ggers-cut/), and there was similar reorganisation in Enemy in Shadows. Would that explanation fit the context?
You could be correct.

"I took the adventure apart and re-ordered it so that everything is easier to find and the GM has all the necessary information to hand when it is needed."

I took 'adventure' literally; he's probably talking about the text layout.

For some reason, wordpress has been blocked by my workplace IT infrastructure :(
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

FasterThanJesus wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:03 am
Gideon wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:00 am The reordering might just refer to a reorganisation of the text without changing the sequence of events.
You could be correct.

"I took the adventure apart and re-ordered it so that everything is easier to find and the GM has all the necessary information to hand when it is needed."
In which case, splendid.
Zisse wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:36 am IMHO C7 should get Death on the Reik done fast and get to the really interesting parts.
I'm not sure what you're saying here, or what you're referring to as interesting parts. Are you saying that Death on the Reik is not an interesting part of The Enemy Within campaign?
Zisse

DotR is a fantastic part of the campaign. Might be my favorite. I do not expect much new stuff in the 4e version. That's why I am much more interested in the horned Rat.
FasterThanJesus

FYI - Cubicle 7 are developing another large campaign that will follow The Enemy Within based largely in The New World. I believe Gavin Thorpe is author. There isn't much more info. It's been mentioned once or twice in interviews and podcats.
adambeyoncelowe

FasterThanJesus wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:16 am FYI - Cubicle 7 are developing another large campaign that will follow The Enemy Within based largely in The New World. I believe Gavin Thorpe is author. There isn't much more info. It's been mentioned once or twice in interviews and podcats.
That sounds very cool.
Capitaneus Fractus

FasterThanJesus wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:58 pm The most interesting info is that a new subplot has been created from The Restless Dead and Carrion up the Reik which will appear in the companions for DotR and PBtT.
I remember it was already announced to everyone. This subplot is called "The Vengeance of the Gravelord".
Capitaneus Fractus wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:33 am Death on the Reik Companion will include:
[...]
-"Carrion up the Reik" (from Power Behind the Throne, WFRP1) and other adventures that run parallel to the Enemy Within, grouped under "The Vengeance of the Gravelord" side campaign (among whom there might be "Eureka" from White Dwarf #93, WFRP1 and "The Oldenhaller Contract" from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay : A grim world of perilous adventures, WFRP1 if the side campaign happen to lead adventurers to Nuln, in order to make the needed connection with the Oldenhaller familly)...
viewtopic.php?p=1455#p1455
Veniam, Duelli Malleum, phantasticum ludum personae uidebo, in fera terra periculosorum aduenturorum ludebam.
FasterThanJesus

I remember Carrion up the Reik (I love that name) being mentioned, but I thought the rest was speculation. TBH I'm finding keeping the info from Cubicle 7 straight tiresome and confusing.
Capitaneus Fractus

Yes, sorry, everything in parenthesis are just my speculation. It was only publicly announced that "The Vengeance of the Gravelord" would be the "Part 1 of a sequence of adventures that run parallel to the Enemy Within, including an adaption of the WFRP 1st edition classic, Carrion up the Reik."
Veniam, Duelli Malleum, phantasticum ludum personae uidebo, in fera terra periculosorum aduenturorum ludebam.
FasterThanJesus

Capitaneus Fractus wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:09 am Yes, sorry, everything in parenthesis are just my speculation. It was only publicly announced that "The Vengeance of the Gravelord" would be the "Part 1 of a sequence of adventures that run parallel to the Enemy Within, including an adaption of the WFRP 1st edition classic, Carrion up the Reik."
No worries. As you can see, I'm not keeping track of things too well myself.

The collector's edition of Enemy in Shadows looks close to ready for shipping according to the twitter feed. Obvious issues with shipping right now, but hopefully it won't be too long before I get my hands on it (and hopefully customer support did update the delivery address to my house not my office).
FasterThanJesus

Cubicle 7's latest expression of optimism is to claim the PDF of DotR will be available in three weeks.