Mirror of Desire 4E conversion

The enemy lurks in shadows
skerrigan

Greetings all. This #WarhammerWednesday I'd like to share a massive undertaking - a 4e conversion of Mirror of Desire, an adventure set in Ubersreik. You can download it free at https://perilousrealm.itch.io/mirror and I hope you enjoy it.

This is a recreation of the social 3rd Edition adventure Mirror of Desire that came with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition's Lure of Power Set. All mechanics are updated for Cubicle 7's Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition, and it does not require any components to play beyond the core rulebook and the starter set.

Something is awry among the Ubersreik nobility. A minor nobleman’s daughter, has bewitched the town’s noble sons and is beset by suitors for her hand. The situation has perplexed the town’s nobility because Esmeralda is an average girl with little wealth to her name and has long been passed over for a match. Determined to set their young men right and dispel this pointless infatuation, the patriarchs of the noble families call upon outside assistance...

This is a substantial rework of the original 3rd Edition adventure Mirror of Desire from the 3rd Edition boxed set Lure of Power. This is a complete social adventure, taking place within the city of Ubersreik.

All mechanics are updated for Cubicle 7's Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition, and it does not require any components to play beyond the core rulebook.

Features include:-
  • An epic 36 page adventure that can potentially serve as a mini-campaign or simply be resolved in a few sessions, according to GM taste
  • Complete NPC and monster descriptions, with illustrations for major NPCs.
  • Full maps for the scenario, including a building the PCs can own.
  • Consistent layout with the other Ubersreik Adventures
  • Brand new 4th Chapter, concluding the adventure decisively.
  • Substantial reworking and expansion of the original text, bringing it into continuity with official Ubersreik Adventures.
This is an unofficial fan publication and is totally unauthorised by Cubicle 7, Games Workshop and any other organisation. It is available totally free as a loving fan tribute.
Verdant Castellan of Bretonnia and Purveyor of the Perilous Realm Podcast
Orin J.

"massive undertaking" -most of that adventure is rules-neutral at worst, i've run a lightly altered version of it for three different editions of D&D. it's a fun adventure, and great for a GM that feel like hamming it up but aren't you overselling it a tiny bit?

anyways, good on you providing the material for groups that don't have the experience in converting adventures and aren't ready to spin new tales whole-cloth.

also it's a tabletop RPG, do you really need to describe it with "a building the PCs can own"? a determined group can own near any building they like, if they really want to put in the time. feels weird to see a line i'd expect to read in an ad for a skyrim DLC....
Pan_Carlo

I haven't seen this before, not really having got to grips with 3rd edition. It looks an impressive piece of work, and I'm looking forward to reading and running it.
skerrigan

Well, it was more the layout, updating it to work with Starter Set locations and writing the 4th Chapter, providing the maps and rewriting sections of it kept me off the streets for a few months, but yeah, ok "medium-biggish undertaking".
Orin J. wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:33 pm "massive undertaking" -most of that adventure is rules-neutral at worst, i've run a lightly altered version of it for three different editions of D&D. it's a fun adventure, and great for a GM that feel like hamming it up but aren't you overselling it a tiny bit?
Okay, I just kinda thought that part was neat.
Orin J. wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:33 pm also it's a tabletop RPG, do you really need to describe it with "a building the PCs can own"? a determined group can own near any building they like, if they really want to put in the time. feels weird to see a line i'd expect to read in an ad for a skyrim DLC....
I don't work in advertising, I just gabbled down some bullet points I liked. It probably doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Hopefully the pdf does.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

@Skerrigan . I notice you've number these Ubersreik Adventures 00a and 00b. Does these mean they are designed to be played before the official Ubersreik Adventures (01, 02, etc.)?
skerrigan

Well, yes & no, but since I doubt C7 will put them in the official numbering, I did it as technically they came out first.

I started my playthrough on the podcast with Eye for an Eye. I'll probably finish it with Mirror as it might end up with PCs being ennobled, getting the mansion etc.

Though with my lot probably not. :D
Ayantis

Great stuff! Thanks.
Orin J.

looking it over, seems like a pretty good conversion overall. there's a few rough bits, but that's really mostly that it's a very freeform heavy story. i will say introducing the characters at the end instead of the beginning might hurt the pacing of the text, the first thing the GM should be reading about is the things the various suitors will be pulling, possibly before the story is underway even.