Selling

The enemy lurks in shadows
Cardboardant

Greetings all,

I cannot figure out how selling is supposed to work.
P.291 has the rules for selling.

It states it is the same as buying, but you make money instead of spend.
When buying you check availability of a buyer, then make evaluate and haggle tests (I presume that the buyer uses Evaluate to ID quality and seller to check quality of coinage).

The confusion arises with the following statement:
"Typically, the base cost when selling is half the listed price, meaning, when selling second-hand, you usually make between a quarter to half an item's worth after Haggling"
Haggling changes prices by max +/-20%.
This cannot produce a range of "a quarter to half".

What am I missing?

Thanks
Orin J.

that's referring specifically to selling items acquired used, which sell for much less than full price. it's kind of confusingly worded. rather then changing the price by +/-20% depending on your roll, it looks to apply +/-10% depending on your roll to a base of 30% the value for a new item.

i'm not sure why they expect you to do the math without explanation there, but that's not an uncommon design choice this edition.
SigmariteOrWrong

Of course, certain things will sell for more to the right buyer, and antiquity, history, and rarity may make them more valuable than beginning. One of our four different parties found some old Dawi weapons that needed restoring. They are from a long dead clan, so to collectors worth a bit more. Restoring them was expensive though.
Cardboardant

So, the paragraph should say something like:

"Typically, the base cost when selling new goods is half the listed price. When selling second-hand goods it is a quarter of the listed price. Haggling can modify these prices as normal."

So, a blacksmith forges a new sword and sells it to a merchant for 10 shillings (haggling can modify it to between 8 - 12, depending on roll).

An adventurer brings back a looted sword and sells it to a merchant for 5 shillings (haggling can modify it to bewenn 4 - 6, depending on roll).
Orin J.

that looks pretty accurate to what the intent was to me. well, we're assuming that's what it is, but....