Character Creation

The enemy lurks in shadows
Kargrosh

Hi there guys! Me and my friends are about to start up 4e this week and i've got a question about character creation, to be more specific i'm wondering wether characters are able to upgrade their species skills/talents as well as learn new ones once the campaign has started.

I'm sorry if the answer is obvious and all answers are appreciated.
Orin J.

rules as written, they are not because you're only allowed to put additional advances into the eight starting skills (page 36: Career skills and Talents). my group agreed that it made sense to allow the normal starting limit of advances for them, but that's not the way the book does it.
Kargrosh

Thanks for the quick reply!
Orin J.

Not a problem, and you and your friends have a great time! Don't forget rule 0: Whatever the GM says goes, even if the book says otherwise.
SigmariteOrWrong

Heck, sitting down with your group its possible you can tweak and re-write bits of character creation. I created a Strigany PC, dropped Doomed, added a new trait that granted small bonuses and lots of racism from folk of the folk of the Empire. Our Halfling started with Throw or Sling Skill, though it's not in the rules, Folk who grew up by the River were allowed to buy swim as a skill. Mix it up.

Remember, "...the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules".