Middenheim: City of the White Wolf

The enemy lurks in shadows
Theo

FasterThanJesus wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:25 am A new revision of the PDF is now posted. The 400,000 figure for the population is indeed a typo with an extra zero.
Heh, that's actually unexpected good news. :) I was sure they were doubling down on their absurdly huge numbers.

Of course, having 40,000 people live on top of a big rock plateau with no means of water transport is still utterly bonkers, but not as bonkers as 400 000, or even as the 95,000 figure from 2E. :)
FasterThanJesus

Theo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:36 am
Heh, that's actually unexpected good news. :) I was sure they were doubling down on their absurdly huge numbers.

Of course, having 40,000 people live on top of a big rock plateau with no means of water transport is still utterly bonkers, but not as bonkers as 400 000, or even as the 95,000 figure from 2E. :)
Magical acquifers?

I love Middenheim from its concept and aesthetics but it definitely lacks a little in design. Still, at least it no longer makes the population density of Skavenblight look like Greenland.

Also - I got the A2 map of Middenheim in the post today (yes, a little buyers remorse on that one...) and from looking at it, the canal like structures are just thoroughfares. I think this is an attempt to give the city a bit more vericality where houses/dwellings are built into the slopes on top of each other.
Hteph

FasterThanJesus wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:54 am
Magical acquifers?

I love Middenheim from its concept and aesthetics but it definitely lacks a little in design. Still, at least it no longer makes the population density of Skavenblight look like Greenland.
After reading the PbtT I was actually thinking about having some of the water problems being solved by hot springs pushing up water inside the cliff (just slightly less incredulously). Having all water tasting odd adds another nice strangeness to Middenheim, and the Dwarfs working down there between steaming pipes would be a bit cool.
Perhaps having an aqueduct transporting water to the foot of the cliff and there injected into a crevice and letting nature heat it up and push it higher up inside old lava tubes.... Completely superfluous fluff, but you never know when such stuff gets handy when players go bonkers.
Theo

Also, since apparently now one of the four viaducts to the city actually comes down from the mountains, it might make sense to also make this an aqueduct collecting water from various mountain streams, rain and snowmelt.

Though I was also intrigued that the new Power Behind the Throne seems to describe the viaducts as spiraling around the Fauschlag rather than just straight ahead and sloping up.