Magic Weapons

The enemy lurks in shadows
FitFitNitMin

One of my PCs has found the magic sword Barrakul in DOTK but failed his WP test to master it.

He passed after a Fortune reroll but he asked if he could have tried again if he increased his WP?
FasterThanJesus

It seems to be a special rule for that sword and given the phrasing of "pass or never be able to draw it," I would say no.

If you want to veto that as the GM, whether any increase, or an x increase, or next level, I'd say it's your call.
FitFitNitMin

All magic weapons in 1e used to need a WP test to master but not sure if thats the case in 4e
FasterThanJesus

I'd honestly forgot about that rule from 1e.

I've just checked the rule book again and I can see no mention of a WP test to master a magical item. However, there is a test for detecting magical items and identifying their capabilities. The rule states that it may typcially only be performed once.

I've also just checked the 1e DotR text and it's basically identical. Given what you said about 1e rules, it could just be an error.
Athinar

where in 4e is there Magic weapon (Items) listing?
RancidWalrus

In short, there isn't one. But I've been compiling a list of 4e bits and pieces useful to a GM, part of which is a list of all the magic items I have found so far and where they are referenced. That may help find what you are after.
Magic Item List
Items (Magical)

Amulet of Dead Echoes (One Shots of the Reikland pp.29)

Amulet of Great Fires of U'zhul (Power Behind the Throne pp.108)

Amulet of Thrice-Blessed Copper (Power Behind the Throne pp.87)

Blessed Anti-Magic Bullets (Shrines of Sigmar pp.5)

Boots of Gucci (Middenheim CotWW pp.71)

Enchanted Brooch (Power Behind the Throne pp.108)

Fang of the Winter Wolf (Power Behind the Throne pp.55)

Gromril Helm (Middenheim CotWW pp.71)

Hammer-axe of Skoll (Power Behind the Throne pp.130)

Jackal Urn (UA2 Deadly Dispatch pp.9)

Magical Dagger (Middenheim CotWW pp.71)

Magical Full Plate (Power Behind the Throne pp.134)

Magical Headband (Power Behind the Throne pp.96)

Magical Sword (Power Behind the Throne pp.96)

Magical Todbringer Necklace (Power Behind the Throne pp.120)

The Nameless Blade (UA2 Double Trouble pp.6)

The Nineteenth Palm of Volans (UA1 Heart of Glass pp.23)

Ring of Opsianon (Enemy in Shadows pp.148)

Ring of Tongues (Middenheim CotWW pp.71)

Saif Al-Janub (Starter Set Adventure Book pp.35)

The Skull of Bloody Klaas (UA1 Something Knocking pp.13)

Slaanesh's Own Cittern (UA2 Blessing That Drew Blood pp.27)

Sword of Fear (Middenheim CotWW pp.71)

Three-Eyed Band (One Shots of the Reikland pp.9)

Throat Slitter (Power Behind the Throne pp.87)

Wolfplate (Power Behind the Throne pp.130)
FasterThanJesus

Nice list. Might be worth creating a google doc or similar resource and seeing if Chuck will host it.

I've been thinking of creating some sort of meta index myself following the success I had with elasticsearch on the WFRP PDFs.
Athinar

GM gave away this ring, "The Ring of Sacrifice", but I cannot find it, do you know which version of Warhammer it came from?

Well really he did not gave it away, we lost 3 Characters for it
Athinar

Do you know if C7 will release one, or did they go Bankrupted
RancidWalrus

A meta index! Thanks FTJ, I wasn't even sure what to call it! :) But, yeah transferring it to a google doc is a good idea, I was just reluctant to share it - there are always some dicey subjective decisions regarding classifications on any document like this, but I guess everyone could create their own copy and modify it to suit.

@Athinar I'm not sure about the Ring of Sacrifice, your GM may have created it? Magic Items honestly aren't very common in WFRP, and I don't recall any kind of extensive list in any edition. C7 are going strong as far as I know, with plenty of planned releases. If they do a magic supplement it will likely have more magic items in it, but I wouldn't expect a D&D DMG style list.
FasterThanJesus

1st edition had a section for magic item properties that was fairly large and one of the supplements (possibly The Restless Dead) also had a bunch more stuff in.

2nd edition had some in Tome of Sorcery but nothing extensive.

WFRP definitely doesn't follow the D&D/Pathfinder approach of magic items being part of the scaling ladder system, which just makes them necessary and bland IMO. That said, lookinf over RancidWalrus' list, there are more than I realised in 4th ed. There are also loads in EiR, but generally owned by people you're not really likely, and definitely not supposed, to kill.
Ayantis

Archives II will include some sort of Magic item generator.

Check it ou here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G9v-YvnvNk
Hyarion

You can't go wrong with the Orb of Slope Detection or the Ring of Detect Fire (range: touch).
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
FasterThanJesus

Is that the wizard apprenticeship equivalent of being asked to get a long stand or tartan paint?