Levelling up NPCs

The enemy lurks in shadows
Arcane Adventurer

Having not experienced earlier editions and noting various threads stating that the creatures and NPCs in the 4e rulebook are not especially competent I've decided that I need a page or two of uplevelled opponents to pitch against my players as they progress.

To that end I'd appreciate some guidance from experienced WHFRP GMs in what quick and easy changes I should make to bring the NPCs up to the equivalent of second and third rank in a career and also what similar upgrades I can make to the creatures/monsters.

Based on normal character advancement I'd expect to add around 40 advances to career skills (min 5 in each) plus adding another Talent and increasing the three Attributes for the career so as to make a major NPC equal to a PC at rank 2 in their career. For rank 3 another 40 advances in career skills etc would probably do the job. For minor NPCs I think I'd need WS, maybe BS, T, I, Fel and advance a few appropriate skills rather than a full statblock.

Not at all sure what I should do for the creatures and monsters though.
Orin J.

Sorry to say, but i haven't found any quick or easy way for ballparking adversarial NPCs yet. between the game mechanics being very hard to keep balanced and ultimately designed to push the player group into having the advantage in a fight you pretty much have to buckle down and do everything the hard way as the GM. 4th is honestly a lot of work behind the screen.

i can say you're going to need a few more stats recorded than that, since willpower and agility are used defensively.
Arcane Adventurer

Thanks for the tips. Only of my third session as GM and fourth as a player (two separate games) and finding it easy enough to run but more guidance on levelling up NPC's for a harder fight might have been useful.
mormegil

I use +10, +20 adds as per the nature of adversary. For example melee combatants gain a boost to WS - T - WP. In addition, I make use of some traits like Champion, Big etc.

I do not bother much about skills, with minor exceptions.