HP Lovecraft

Talk about anything
Colonel Mustard

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:29 am

Robin wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:32 am
My understanding that this business about being raised as a girl was due to a photograph of him in a dress as young child. However, such attire was not unusual even for small boys in the Victorian era. I'm happy to learn otherwise.
I worked for a company where they had a picture of the founder - a male - on the wall who was also dressed as a girl in a childhood photo from the early 1900's. I'm told that was "a thing" back then to dress all children in dresses. I'm not sure the reasoning. Maybe it was just quicker and easier to get them in and out of.
skerrigan

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:32 am

I'm using Joshis bio as a 2nd hand source. They have mentioned these facts on the Good Friends of Jackson Elias podcast. And I just assume they know their stuff. :)
Robin wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:32 am

Can I ask your sources on this? It's been about three decades since I read L. Sprague de Camp's biography of HPL, and I still haven't had time to even dip into Joshi's two-volume one. One of these days. (I'm currently finishing the first of Joshi's Variorum Editions of HPL's works, but I'm taking a break with some Clark Ashton Smith after that.)

My understanding that this business about being raised as a girl was due to a photograph of him in a dress as young child. However, such attire was not unusual even for small boys in the Victorian era. I'm happy to learn otherwise.
And for his time and relative isolation he was quite an advocate for the sciences. I wouldn't describe his as ignorant.
I meant ignorance in relation to race and culture.

Regards,

Robin
Verdant Castellan of Bretonnia and Purveyor of the Perilous Realm Podcast
Robin

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:17 pm

skerrigan wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:32 am
I'm using Joshis bio as a 2nd hand source. They have mentioned these facts on the Good Friends of Jackson Elias podcast. And I just assume they know their stuff. :)
Yeah, fair enough. Joshi's an arrogant SOB, but he's probably the authority on HPL. I still wouldn't class HPL as disturbed though.

Regards,

Robin
skerrigan

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:29 pm

I count myself as disturbed, so YMMV. :mrgreen:
Robin wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:17 pm
Yeah, fair enough. Joshi's an arrogant SOB, but he's probably the authority on HPL. I still wouldn't class HPL as disturbed though.

Regards,

Robin
Verdant Castellan of Bretonnia and Purveyor of the Perilous Realm Podcast
satakuua

Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:52 am

I love Lovecraft’s stories. Sure, the man was racist, but still. I do like Roman Polanski’s films, too. And he is a convicted rapist. And Louis C.K. was good. As was Kevin Spacey.
Orin J.

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:10 pm

i think the modern "political correct" culture is going to be seen in the same hinky light the all-encompassing racist undertones of lovecraft's era were, honestly. there's so much gatekeeping and virtually no teaching about the reasons behind it (admittadly, sometimes there's very little reasoning there), that you see a natural pushback to it that's leaving the door unfortunately open to the most virulent strains of racist thought. it's better to go into the books understanding the gist of how racism affected the era rather than making assumptions of his adoption of the popular culture.
satakuua

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:43 pm

It is the Age of Hysteria.

Tough to stomach it all, but, thankfully, there are good things happening, too.