Imperial Calendar

For general discussions about WFRP
Capitaneus Fractus

Hi,

My feeling on the Warhammer calendar, as it was designed for the Enemy Within campaign and kept for latter publications, is that it quite unrealistic that an educated people would have such a baroque calendar to measure time in a world where years stand for exactly four seasons of one hundred days each and where mannslieber cycles are of twenty-five days. Such a strong regularity of the Sun and of Mannslieb would have obviously commanded to easily reach a perfect lunisolar calendar, with months allowing to keep tracks of mannslieber cycles and of seasons...

So I've decided to correct it with a more logical one, which happen to be perpetual, hence being used to any imperial year:
Calendrier perpétuel.png

The year is divided into four seasons (solar cycles). The new year start the day of the last full mannslieb before the first day of spring (Hexenstag).

Seasons are divided into four months (mannslieber cycle). The new month start the day of a full mannslieb and end the day before the next full mannslieb.

Months are divided into the kalendary day and three eight-days nundines:
-The day of full mannslieb are called kalends and aren't really part of the nundines;
-The first nundine start the day after the kalends;
-The second nundine start at the waning crescent of mannslieb;
-The third and last nundine start the day after the waxinig crescent of mannslieb;

Months are also divided into four periods who, each, lead to a major celebration of the month. The first two periods are always mannslieber periods:
-the six day week of Nones, up to the last quarter of mannslieb;
-the sennight of Ides, up to the new mannslieb.

The two last are either solar or mannslieber periods, depending in the kind of month:
-In ordinary months (1/2), the third period is a six-day week, up to the first quarter of mannslieb, and the fourth period is a six-day week, up to the day before the kalends of full mannslieb of the next month;
-In season transition months (1/4), the third period is a four-day week, up to the first day of the new season, and the fourth period is a nundine up to the day before the kalends of full mannslieb of the next month;
-In equinoctial and solstial months (1/4), the third period is a three-day week, up to the day of equinox or solstice, and the fourth period is a nine-day week up to the day before the kalends of full mannslieb of the next month.

Each month, hence, have four major days from which previous days are counted inclusively forward to it.

So, what are your thoughts... How can it be enhanced? Is there some errors that should be corrected? Is the German correct? What could be the third events of the 4th, 8th and 16th months?

Zoodiacal signs dates are from Liber Fanatica. Is there more "official" sources?

HERE IS A TABLE FOR DATE CONVERSION
From TEW's mystical calendar to my lunisolar one (Work for every year)

Code: Select all

1       Hexenstag           |   Hexenstag (Hexensnacht : Old Faith, Liadriel, Mórr)
2       1st Nachexen        |   Wellentag, the 6th day before the Nones of Nachexen (New Year's Benediction: Véréna)
7       6 Nachexen          |   Konistag, Nonen des Nachexen
14      13 Nachexen         |   Bezahltag, Iden des Nachexen
18      17 Nachexen         |   Wellentag, Letzintag (1st Spring day)
26      25 Nachexen         |   Kalenden des Hornung
32      31 Nachexen         |   Konistag, Nonen des Hornung
33      32 Nachexen         |   Angestag, the 7th day before the Ides of Hornung
34      1st Jahrdrung       |   Festag, the 6th day before the Ides of Hornung
39      6 Jahrdrung         |   Bezahltag, Iden des Hornung
46      13 Jahrdrung        |   Marktag, Ewigewiederkunftstag (Neap-tide: Mannan)
57      24 Jahrdrung        |   Konistag, Nonen des Jahrdrung (Start of The Enemy Within campaign)
64      31 Jahrdrung        |   Bezahltag, Iden des Jahrdrung
66      33 Jahrdrung        |   Angestag, Vormitterfruhl
67      Mitterfruhl         |   Festag, Mitterfruhl (Spring Equinox: Manann, Taal, Ulric, Old Faith, Rhya)
68      1st Pflugzeit       |   Wellentag, the 9th day before the Kalends of Pflugzeit
75      8 Pflugzeit         |   Festag, Vorkalenden des Pflugzeit
76      9 Pflugzeit         |   Kalenden des Pflugzeit
82      15 Pflugzeit        |   Konistag, Nonen des Pflugzeit
89      22 Pflugzeit        |   Bezahltag, Iden des Pflugzeit
96      29 Pflugzeit        |   Marktag, [first quarter of mannslieb] (Neap-tide: Mannan)
100     33 Pflugzeit        |   Festag, Vorkalenden des Sigmarzeit (First Swallow: Grugni)
101     1st Sigmarzeit      |   Kalenden des Sigmarzeit
107     7 Sigmarzeit        |   Konistag, Nonen des Sigmarzeit
114     14 Sigmarzeit       |   Bezahltag, Iden des Sigmarzeit
118     18 Sigmarzeit       |   Wellentag, Sommertag (1st Summer day: Sigmar)
125     25 Sigmarzeit       |   Festag, Vorkalenden des Wonnemanoth
126     26 Sigmarzeit       |   Kalenden des Wonnemanoth
132     32 Sigmarzeit       |   Konistag, Nonen des Wonnemanoth
133     33 Sigmarzeit       |   Angestag, the 7th day before the Ides of Wonnemanoth
134     1st Sommerzeit      |   Festag, the 6th day before the Ides of Wonnemanoth
139     6 Sommerzeit        |   Bezahltag, Iden des Wonnemanoth
---     10 Sommerzeit       |   [The Madness Day of Ranald is now set at Marktag, Wahnsinnstag]
146     13 Sommerzeit       |   Marktag, Wahnsinnstag (Ranald, Mannan)
150     17 Sommerzeit       |   Festag, Vorkalenden des Sommerzeit
151     18 Sommerzeit       |   Kalenden des Sommerzeit
157     24 Sommerzeit       |   Konistag, Nonen des Sommerzeit
164     31 Sommerzeit       |   Bezahltag, Iden des Sommerzeit
166     33 Sommerzeit       |   Angestag, Vorsonnstille
167     Sonnstille          |   Festag, Sonnstille (Solstice of Summer : Old Faith, Taal, Rhya)
168     1st Vorgeheim       |   Wellentag, the 9th day before the Kalends of Vorgeheim
175     8 Vorgeheim         |   Festag, Vorkalenden des Vorgeheim
176     9 Vorgeheim         |   Kalenden des Vorgeheim
182     15 Vorgeheim        |   Konistag, Nonen des Vorgeheim
189     22 Vorgeheim        |   Bezahltag, Iden des Vorgeheim
196     29 Vorgeheim        |   Marktag, [first quarter of mannslieb] (Neap-tide: Mannan)
200     33 Vorgeheim        |   Festag, Vorgeheimnistag (Day of the Saga : Grugni)
201     Geheimnistag        |   Geheimnistag (Geheimnisnacht : Old Faith, Liadriel, Mórr)
202     1st Nachgeheim      |   Wellentag, the 6th day before the Nones of Nachgeheim
207     6 Nachgeheim        |   Konistag, Nonen des Nachgeheim
214     13 Nachgeheim       |   Bezahltag, Iden des Nachgeheim
218     17 Nachgeheim       |   Wellentag, Herbistag (1st Automne day)
225     24 Nachgeheim       |   Festag, Vorkalenden des Aranmanoth
226     25 Nachgeheim       |   Kalenden des Aranmanoth
232     31 Nachgeheim       |   Konistag, Nonen des Aranmanoth
233     32 Nachgeheim       |   Angestag, the 7th day before the Ides of Aranmanoth (First day of the Pie Week: Esméralda)
234     1st Erntezeit       |   Festag, the 6th day before the Ides of Aranmanoth
---     1-8 Erntezeit       |   [The Pie Week is now set the sennight of the Ides of Aranmanoth]
239     6 Erntezeit         |   Bezahltag, Iden des Aranmanoth (Last day of the Pie Week: Esméralda)
246     13 Erntezeit        |   Marktag, Idisibluozan (Neap-tide: Mannan)
250     17 Erntezeit        |   Festag, Vorkalenden des Erntezeit
251     18 Erntezeit        |   Kalenden des Erntezeit
257     24 Erntezeit        |   Konistag, Nonen des Erntezeit
264     31 Erntezeit        |   Bezahltag, Iden des Erntezeit
266     33 Erntezeit        |   Angestag, Vormitterherbst
267     Mitterherbst        |   Festag, Mitterherbst (Equinoxe of Automne : Ulric, Old Faith, Taal, Mannan, Rhya)
268     1st Brauzeit        |   Wellentag, the 9th day before the Ides of Brauzeit
276     9 Brauzeit          |   Festag, Vorkalenden des Brauzeit
277     10 Brauzeit         |   Kalenden des Brauzeit
282     15 Brauzeit         |   Konistag, Nonen des Brauzeit
289     22 Brauzeit         |   Bezahltag, Iden des Brauzeit
297     30 Brauzeit         |   Marktag, Albibluozan (Neap-tide: Mannan)
300     33 Brauzeit         |   Festag, Vorkalenden des Kaldezeit (Second Pint: Grugni)
301     1st Kaldezeit       |   Kalenden des Kaldezeit
307     7 Kaldezeit         |   Konistag, Nonen des Kaldezeit
314     14 Kaldezeit        |   Bezahltag, Iden des Kaldezeit
318     18 Kaldezeit        |   Wellentag, Wintartag (1st Winter day)
325     25 Kaldezeit        |   Festag, Vorkalenden des Taalsdämmerung
326     26 Kaldezeit        |   Kalenden des Taalsdämmerung
332     32 Kaldezeit        |   Konistag, Nonen des Taalsdämmerung
333     33 Kaldezeit        |   Angestag, the 7th day before the Ides of Taalsdämmerung
334     1st Ulriczeit       |   Festag, the 6th day before the Ides of Taalsdämmerung
339     6 Ulriczeit         |   Bezahltag, Iden des Taalsdämmerung
346     13 Ulriczeit        |   Marktag, Ersterhalbmond von Ulric (Neap-tide: Mannan)
350     17 Ulriczeit        |   Festag, Vorkalenden des Ulriczeit
351     18 Ulriczeit        |   Kalenden des Ulriczeit
257     24 Ulriczeit        |   Konistag, Nonen des Ulriczeit
364     31 Ulriczeit        |   Bezahltag, Iden des Ulriczeit
366     33 Ulriczeit        |   Angestag, Vormondstille
367     Mondstille          |   Festag, Mondstille (Solstice of Winter: Ulric, Old Faith, Taal, Rhya)
368     1st Vorhexen        |   Wellentag, the 9th day before the Kalends of Vorhexen
375     8 Vorhexen          |   Festag, Vorkalenden des Vorhexen
376     9 Vorhexen          |   Kalenden des Vorhexen
382     15 Vorhexen         |   Konistag, Nonen des Vorhexen
389     22 Vorhexen         |   Bezahltag, Iden des Vorhexen
396     29 Vorhexen         |   Marktag, [first quarter of mannslieb] (Neap-tide: Mannan)
400     33 Vorhexen         |   Festag, Vorhexenstag (Bottom of the Barrel: Grugni)
Veniam, Duelli Malleum, phantasticum ludum personae uidebo, in fera terra periculosorum aduenturorum ludebam.
Orin J.

i honestly always ignored the imperial calendar, as i assumed very few people were literate enough to track these things in a chart as opposed to "Feeling" the right time for harvests and such and the listed calendar was the domain of out of touch academics that stupidly think "well, we can just make this nice and orderly making everything a nice clean factor of ten!"

i mean, the empire having a lot of lunatics in charge of their sciences that don't care about reason is kind of a recurring thing.

that said, it looks like good work! i'm sure someone will get good use out of this. i personally tend to play dates more by the seat of my pants though, since my usual gaming group was always a bunch of wandering murderhobos.
Hyarion

Wait, there are gaming groups that *aren't* wandering murderhobos?
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
Capitaneus Fractus

Have someone an idea (or some sources) on how could be determined random lunations of Morrsliebe and eclipses of the Sun, of Mannsliebe and of Morrsliebe?
Veniam, Duelli Malleum, phantasticum ludum personae uidebo, in fera terra periculosorum aduenturorum ludebam.
Orin J.

Capitaneus Fractus wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:09 am Have someone an idea (or some sources) on how could be determined random lunations of Morrsliebe and eclipses of the Sun, of Mannsliebe and of Morrsliebe?
well, we have the seasonal calendar and the rough amount of hours in the day, so someone with astronomy experience would be able to put together the calculations to turn those into the rotations of mannslieb around the planet. you might be able to do it yourself with a few weeks research at the library! once you have that it's more a matter of figuring out the distance of the moon and how the sun works....there might be a partial lunar calender somewhere in the fluff of some adventure or a bit about magic, you should check around in your books for useful tidbits you might have overlooked.

morrslieb is a bit tougher. it's erratic and can change wildly based on lots of tiny factors- because it's really just GMs choice. if you're the GM, just do what serves your purposes for story and drama at the moment. if you aren't the GM....er, butter them up maybe?
Knight of the Lady

Capitaneus Fractus wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:09 am Have someone an idea (or some sources) on how could be determined random lunations of Morrsliebe and eclipses of the Sun, of Mannsliebe and of Morrsliebe?
I can't help you with lunar and solar stuff, but I can say that I wrote up the following little things for Morrslieb, about one and half year ago for 2nd edition. And I believe that the Tome of Corruption takes up the subject of Morrslieb and its appearence in a discussion.

Morrslieb

After each appearance of Morrslieb roll 2d10 to see how many nights until the next appearance.

There are five phases for Morrslieb (Full moon, Gibbeous moon, Half moon, Crescent moon and New Moon). Due to the irregular and chaos nature of the Morrslieb roll 1d10 to see which phase Morslieb comes out in.

1-Full Moon
2-3-Gibbeous Moon
4-5Half Moon
6-7 Crescent Moon
8-10 New Moon
Capitaneus Fractus

Thank you for this suggestion.
Is Mórrslieb erratic enough to be able to be new moon one day, full moon th day after and half moon the day that follow? Can it go reverse?
Before you shared your contribution, I thought about this system of weights:

1. roll 1d10 for each semester to get the number of Mórrslieb's lunations (so, there is between 2 and 20 Mórrslieb's lunations in a year).
2. for each lunation, roll 1d10 and wight results together to get the percentage of days each lunation got.
3. Report this percentage to the 200 days of the semester.
4. For each lunation, roll 8d10, under the same principle, to get the weight, hence the number of days, of each phase of Mórrslieb: The 1st phase is from full to waning gibbous; the 2nd is from waning gibbous to last quarter; the 3rd is from last quarter to waning crescent; the 4th is from waning crescent to new mórrslieb; the 5th is from new mórrslieb to waxing crescent; the 6th is from waxing crescent to first quarter; the 7th is from first quarter to waxing gibbous and the 8th is from waxing gibbous to full mórrslieb...

Example: If I roll "4" to get the number of Mórrslieb's lunations in the semester, there will be four of them between Hexenstag and Geheimnistag.
Then, I weight them. I roll "2", "3", "5" and "9". Its sum is 19. So the first lunation, "2" is about 10.53% of 19; the second one, "3" is about 15.79% of 19; the third, "5" is about 26.32% of 19 and the last, "9" is about 47.37% of 19. Reported to the 200 days of the semester: the first lunation will last 21 days; the second 31 days; the third 53 days and the fourth 95 days.

To get the phases of each lunation, I roll again 8d10 and weight results as previously. I roll "5", "5", "5", "5", "5", "6", "1" and "3", which mean that the five first phases will last three days each; the sixth four; the seventh one and the last two; the other lunations are also tested...

Following this, one end to got his calendar...

If the scenario or the dramatic interest command that something happen differently some day, then, it happen differently... When there is no specific necessity to have arbitrary lunation rather than random lunation or when the game master prefers to please the results of uncertainty, then he just have to follow the random table he did prepared in advance.

What do you think about it? It sure isn't something to test during a game but rather before a game, when it is deemed important by the game master.
Orin J.

Capitaneus Fractus wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:43 pm Thank you for this suggestion.
Is Mórrslieb erratic enough to be able to be new moon one day, full moon th day after and half moon the day that follow? Can it go reverse?
Yes. It's apparently possible (and not uncommon) for it to simply not show up some nights, or to stay unmoving in the sky for nights on end. It is a big wad of chaos stuff, after all. expecting it to act natural would be silly!
Knight of the Lady

Orin J. wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:02 pm
Capitaneus Fractus wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:43 pm Thank you for this suggestion.
Yes. It's apparently possible (and not uncommon) for it to simply not show up some nights, or to stay unmoving in the sky for nights on end. It is a big wad of chaos stuff, after all. expecting it to act natural would be silly!
I agree pretty much with this. And personally I like to cut down on the math. :P
Capitaneus Fractus

In The Enemy Within and in some other publications, it is said that at Hexenstag and Geheimnistag, the first day of each semester of the year, Mórrslieb always appears full.
In Shadows over Bögenhafen, it is said that Mórrslieb appears to be close to be full (and eventually happen to be full), which is a bit surprising -it is said- because in that part of the year, it is more common to see its last crescent (If I'm recalling correctly... we should check the exact quote...)

It suggest, for me, that albeit being erratic, apparitions aren't "that" random... It do not act naturally, but it do not tend to always randomly teleport neither. I understand it as there is some predictability on which no-one can however surely rely one considering the erratic nature of that moon lead it to not follow a regular course.
Capitaneus Fractus

"They came in their silvery vessels. Impossibly powerful. Mysterious. Then our world was frozen, huge and empty. Life was simple, barbaric, without language, knowledge or civilisation. They changed us. They changed everything. We only know them as the Old Ones.
They had the power to move worlds, to bring them closer or to move them away from the eternal heat of the sun. That's what they did, bringing our cold globe back to life. But this unbalanced the other worlds, because everything is connected. Then they moved them too, forming an impossible harmony among the spheres, a perfection that can still be seen today by observing the heavens.
See the five children of Asuryan: Charyb, the closest to the sun, only takes 80 days to go around; while Deiamol takes 133 and a third of days; Tigris, 200; our world, 400; and Verdra, 800. Compare this to the five Councillors: Lokratia takes 1,600 days, four of our years; Isharna, 10 years; Loekia, 30 years; Voelia, 150 years; and blessed by the Old Ones - is an impressive sight even after so many millennia."
The Book of Days, Finreir of Saphery

Reading again this extract from Andy Law's article cut from the Tome of Salvation, I considerate again aspect that might be indicated in my perpetual calendar:

Asuryan's children:
Charyb: five revolutions per ishan years.
Deiamol, the burning world: three revolutions per ishan years.
Tigris: two revolutions per ishan years.
*Isha (named by Imperials *Rhya), the fated place : one revolution in four hundred ishan days.
-- *P'hílêsarrielos (named by Imperials Mórrslieb), Beloved of Sarriel: erratic revolutions, a number of revolution higher than eighty eight in one ishan year never was documented.
-- *P'hílêmathlaños (named by Imperials Mannslieb), Beloved of Mathlann: sixteen revolutions per ishan years.
Verdra: one revolution per two ishan years.

Councillors
Lokratia: one revolution per four ishan years.
Isharna: one revolution per ten ishan years.
Loekia: one revolution per thirty ishan years.
Voelia: one revolution per fifteen hundred ishan years.
Obscuria: one revolution per three hundred ishan years.

(I invented the use of names introduced by * to describe a celestial body, other names come from The Burning Shore and Andy Law's cut article for the Tome of Salvation)

IVth volume of Liber fanatica take celestial bodies as subject: http://www.liberfanatica.net/liber.fanaticaIV.pdf

My question would be: should there be a perfect alignment of all planets, calculated from ten thousands years before present? Should it be set at a specific moment of Isha's revolution? It would then be possible to add informations from the celestial calendar of the Tome of Salvation by starting their cycle ten thousands years ago too...

But then, how to determinate relative regularities such as "each five-seven years in Nachexen", "each two-three years in Pfulgzeit", "each eleven-fifteen years in Erntezeit" or "each thirty-thirty three years between Ulriczeit and Vorhexen"? Certainly by considering the astral moment that, taking account of celestial bodies' revolutions, would come every five-seven years, &c. (if the regularity of the stellar system allow it... if it does, it might give an idea of the good moment to logically align planets).

Any mathematical suggestion?
Theo

I have to admit I just skip the Imperial calendar completely and go with the regular Gregorian calendar (adding in the various Holidays at appropriate times). Even discounting the issues mentioned in the OP, I'm too old to be arsed with remembering made-up names for weekdays and months. They also, IMO, make the bar much higher for the players to understand the passage of time properly and thereby engage with the setting. If I say, "we started the campaign on Thursday, April 21st, Imperial year 2512, and now it's Monday, June 26th, the same year (the day after Sonnstill)", the players readily understand how much time has passed, what the seasons were and even without German could guess that Sonnstill is something like Midsummer. Saying "we started on Konistag, Pflugzeit 29th, and now it's Bezahltag, 1 Vorgeheim (the day after Sonnstill)" doesn't give the same understanding unless the players are immersed enough to learn the calendar. It's not that high a priority for me.
Capitaneus Fractus

If they have a printed yearly calendar on which they might write or draw things, it doesn't pose problems for player to understand how much time has passed and what seasons were (especially with my presentation : the first line is spring, the second line is summer, the third line is autumn, the fourth line is winter; the first group of three columns is the transition from the previous season to the new one ; the second is the beginning of the season, the third one is the peak of the season, with the solstice or the equinox, the forth one is the end of the season...).

Using the Gregorian calendar is easier, but when used with already wrote campaign, need some rework
-of the campaign, when they are long, in order to get it last less time, as you reduce a year of 400 days to a year of 365,2425 days. If you do not your Gregorian calendar, which is already disconnected from the lunar course, will also disconnect, a bit, from the normal course of seasons, and... will not allow your players correctly get how the time has passed. Starting a campaign the first day of summer (Tuesday, the 4th of February, in 2020 ; the 17th of Nachexen in the official calendar or Letzintag, in my rationalized one), you'll arrive in Mitterherbst, the equinox of autumn, a bit after the Grapes of Wrath, Sunday, the 11th of October... A bit late for an equinox of autumn, from a Gregorian point of view...

-of the Warhammer background or of Gregorian names, except if you play with player unable to instinctively get what the words they use mean (which isn't a common feature). Some part of our contemporary Gregorian names could work, but others, most of them, would clearly break immersion.
Only taking your examples:
-Monday is a bit odd considering Warhammer World have two moons. It should be Monenday, Mórrsday or Mannsday...
-Who is this Thunor who was important enough to gave his name to one of the seven week-days? If he is a God, he should be at last as important as Ulric and Taal, if he is a man, he should be at last as important as Sigmar.
-Who is this Apru who was important enough to gave her name to one of the twelve months?
-Who is this Juno who was important enough to gave her name to one of the twelve months?
Jackdays

By the way - this site, Winds of Chaos, actually has pretty good calender, which I like to use. Calenders of the Empire on this page: https://www.windsofchaos.com/?page_id=92
Welcome to grim and perilous Norsca. Welcome to Kalevala Hammer.

kalevalahammer@gmail.com
www.kalevalahammer.com
Theo

Capitaneus Fractus wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:52 am Using the Gregorian calendar is easier, but when used with already wrote campaign, need some rework
-of the campaign, when they are long, in order to get it last less time, as you reduce a year of 400 days to a year of 365,2425 days. If you do not your Gregorian calendar, which is already disconnected from the lunar course, will also disconnect, a bit, from the normal course of seasons, and... will not allow your players correctly get how the time has passed. Starting a campaign the first day of summer (Tuesday, the 4th of February, in 2020 ; the 17th of Nachexen in the official calendar or Letzintag, in my rationalized one), you'll arrive in Mitterherbst, the equinox of autumn, a bit after the Grapes of Wrath, Sunday, the 11th of October... A bit late for an equinox of autumn, from a Gregorian point of view...
That's only a problem if you had already planned your campaign after the Warhammer calendar. I just went with starting my TEW campaign at April 24th and went from there (though I realised later I'd misread the calendar and should probably more properly have started at March 24th). But yeah, if you started out following the Imperial calendar I can see how it might get tricky.

Capitaneus Fractus wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:52 am -of the Warhammer background or of Gregorian names, except if you play with player unable to instinctively get what the words they use mean (which isn't a common feature). Some part of our contemporary Gregorian names could work, but others, most of them, would clearly break immersion.
Only taking your examples:
-Monday is a bit odd considering Warhammer World have two moons. It should be Monenday, Mórrsday or Mannsday...
-Who is this Thunor who was important enough to gave his name to one of the seven week-days? If he is a God, he should be at last as important as Ulric and Taal, if he is a man, he should be at last as important as Sigmar.
-Who is this Apru who was important enough to gave her name to one of the twelve months?
-Who is this Juno who was important enough to gave her name to one of the twelve months?
I'd just handwave that as what TV Tropes calls a "Translation convention". "Thursday" and "April" here just represent whatever the Old World characters would call the equivalent day and month, just like the modern Swedish we speak at the table represents Reikspiel. If that was good enough for Tolkien, it's good enough for me. ;)
Capitaneus Fractus

Okay, I decided to rationalize another way.

Instead of adapting a calendar to a Mannslieb cycle of twenty-five days, which lead to a very great change, I adapt the cycle of Mannslieb to the Imperial calendar, which make this rationalized calendar way closer to the original one...

So, changes are :
1. that the cycle of Mannslieb is of thirty-three days and eight equinox hours.
2. Months start at the new Mannslieb like it probably did in the ancient Anglo-Saxon calendar which inspired the original one.
3. The New Year start the first full Mannslieb after the söllstice of winter (which also happen to be a full Mórrslieb night, half a month earlier than in the original Imperial calendar), the night of Hexensnight, like it did in the ancient Anglo-Saxon calendar which inspired the original one.
4. Each month start with a day which is called Kalend and which, while not being part of the week, is part of the month.
5. There is exactly four weeks per months.
6. This calendar is perpetual, which mean that it work for every year.

All other astronomic and calendar aspect are the same as in the official edition. I have a more developed rough document (in French). If you wish to read it and share your comments or suggests things to be implemented, do not hesitate to ask me...
cal. perpetuel..jpg
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

@Capitaneus Fractus

What's an equinox hour?
Is there an error with the first and seventh month's numerical dating or does time go backwards for a while after Morrslieb and Mannslieb are both full?
Capitaneus Fractus

There might be errors, it isn't a finished product :p

Sorry, I am not really fluent in English and the good word is "equinoctial hours", which is a twelfth part of a daytime or of a night, at the moment of the equinox, when daytime equal night. That is very close to our fixed hours (a twenty-fourth of a day).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hour

I've decided to start months with the new Mannslieb, as it was probably the case with the Anglo-Saxon and Germanic calendars (and as it was the case with the Roman and Hellenic calendars too ; it seem that lunar calendar tended to start with the new moon or with the first crescent, rarely with the full moon, because it was more difficult to know the exact moment when the moon was full). So the full Mannslieb happen in the middle of the months, the day that Romans used to call Ides...

To keep the idea of having two full moons at Hexensnacht and Geheimnisnacht, which is more dramatic than having two invisible new moons on the sky, I had to move by half a month nights of Hexen and Geheim who now happen in the middle of the month. I had the choice to make those happen half a month after or half a month before, and I decided, after an initial hesitation, to make it happen half a month before, because the Anglo-Saxon and Germanic calendar, which inspired the Imperial calendar, started its year the first full moon after the Winter solstice.

To keep the idea of having Vorhexen, Nachhexen around Hexensnacht and Vorgehem, Nachgeheim around Geheimnisnacht, I decided to have, at those two moment a Roman or Hellenic way of counting days. I feel it might enhance the dramatic moment of those two nights to count inclusively backward to the full Mórrslieb, and then, after the full Mórrslieb, to count forward from it.

Which mean that, if the second Markttag of the month is counted being the 12th day of the month in normal months (e.g. Markttag 12. Sigmarzeit), which mean the 12th inclusive day after the Kalend of Sigmarzeit, it is counted being the 6th day before the full Mórrslieb in the months starting the semester (e.g. Marktag 6. Vorhexensnacht, which mean the 6th inclusive day before the night of witches).
The last Markttag of the month would normally counted the 28th of the month (e.g. Markttag 28. Sigmarzeit, the 28th inclusive day after the Kalend of Sigmarzeit), but in is counted the 12th day after the full Mórrslieb in the months starting the semester (e.g. Marktag 12. Nachhexenstag, the 12th inclusive day after the day of witches).

Hexensnacht begin the new year and the semester of growing daytime. Geheimnisnacht being the semester of growing night time.
It isn't uncommon to have years starting in the middle of the month: many European medieval and early-modern realms started their year the day of Christmas, the 25th of December (Nativity Style). Some started in the movable date of the Holy Saturday, the day before the first Sunday after the ecclesiastical full moon that occurs on or soonest after 21 March, or the Good Friday, one day before Holy Saturday, (Easter Styles), like France. Others the 25th of March (Annunciation Style), like Florence...
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

I like the idea of Vorhexensnacht and Vorgeheimnisnacht. Are your players German speakers? If not, and perhaps in any case, it might be a good idea to spell them VorHexensnacht and VorGeheimnisnacht (with the capital 'H' and 'G') in order to emphasis the reference to Hexensnacht and Geheimnisnacht. It might also be interesting and verisimilous ('true simulating') to use a different prefix for Geheimnisnacht instead of 'Vor', such as (note that i don't know German and that i'm using a translator here) 'Bis' or 'Bisvor'.

On an aside, i'm a proponent of moving Christmas (back) to the 6th of January and you may interested in the calendar shenanigans that meant that the UK's fiscal year starts on the 6th April, if you're not already aware of them.
Zisse

totsuzenheni wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:16 pm It might also be interesting and verisimilous ('true simulating') to use a different prefix for Geheimnisnacht instead of 'Vor', such as (note that i don't know German and that i'm using a translator here) 'Bis' or 'Bisvor'.
Well, I am German, even from the equivalent of the Reikland. I really like the sometimes silly German names in WFRP. It's great fun.

One suggestion might be the name Geheimnisabend. In German Sunday is Sonntag and Saturday is Samstag. At least in the far west around Cologne an old fashioned name for Saturday/Samstag is Sonnabend. Hence you might use that principal. Not sure if it perfectly fits.

Zisse