Any canon examples of characters using both might and magic?

For general discussions about WFRP
Orin J.

CapnZapp wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:53 am I'm looking for a Warrior type character who switches out fightery talents for innate magical ones.

And that these magical talents are low key, in line with what a sword, arrow, shield or chain mail do for you. They aren't high level spells that obliterate regiments. The reason isn't primarily because that would make the character overpowered (though that is a good reason). The primary reason is instead because that would overshadow the character's sword play and fighting prowess! I don't want there to be a reason NOT to fight with a weapon; I don't want there to be a reason to cast spells like a regular Wizard.

I want the character to be a fighter that just happens to use magic to help him do just that. :)

I envision a character who in his second career can get Attacks 2.
Once a round he firebolts for damage on par with a bow and arrow. The range can be short, that's fine. It's a reskinned ranged attack whose main value lies in reinforcing his magical nature. Remaining attacks (Attacks 2, 3 etc) are made with a sword or other weapon.

Other magical manifestations might include aethyric armor so he can skip regular armor, again mostly for appearances. Maybe a smattering of Petty Spells. He's got some sort of magical sense so he can function as the group's detector of magic items. He might have the Superstition skill, but he's no book-trained Wizard. He might even have some ability to Dispel, but that's not essential.

All his other experience goes toward being a charismatic fighter.

(Maybe that concept is entirely foreign to the Old World. I don't know - that's why I'm asking you guys! :) )
lorewise, yeah that's entirely foreign to the old world- in fact it's the exact reason why people turn to chaos. magic isn't something you learn instinctively unless it's a gift of chaos and everyone knows it. enough magical power to light a candle is a big deal and hard to control according to human wizards in most stories, having a guy that just "knows" it is incredibly suspect and likely to get the witch hunters to show him how a bonfire works up close. even with elves learning magic takes decades (it's just decades aren't a big deal to them) of learning and practice.....

have you considered saving the character idea for another game setting? this would fit better in almost any other fantasy setting with magic, and most of them have rules that'd let you develop it the way you're asking just fine.
Theo

One of my PCs is actually a little like that, or could evolve in that direction. She's a fighter-type (ex-Soldier, ex-Bounty Hunter, presently Bodyguard) who also has an innate knack for mentally manipulating (especially heating) metal. For most of her life this power has been very weak in practice - both for lack of control, and for not daring to let it loose with her poor control - but at a session last year, faced with a Chaos demon, she desperately let it loose and briefly set a sword on magical fire. Of course, this power is actually a benign mutation, though she might be able to learn greater control of it at the risk of further Chaotic influence.

Of course, I'm playing very fast and loose with Warhammer canon, but I think a benign mutation conferring some kind of magic-like knack would be the easiest way to do a character "who switches out fightery talents for innate magical ones".
Iltherion

The closest thing to a character who can use both might and magic is probably Teclis (https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Teclis), and even then it's more of a case of "using either might or magic." He has potions that can make him a powerful fighter at the expense of his magic, or a powerful mage at the expense of his fighting skill, but they are mutually exclusive.

Also, he's way beyond the skill level of any WFRP PC.

Anyone with any sort of magical ability is required by Imperial law to learn how to control it (since otherwise they make the Empire more vulnerable to Chaos incursions), and as mentioned previously, there are quite a few Grey and Bright Wizards who use their swords more than their magic.
Arnizipal

How about a Warrior Priest with divine magic?
Sigmarites have some fiery miracles.
Knight of the Lady

I am actually rather in favor of battle mages. We've got battle priests and the mages of the Empire are supposed to spend time on actual battlefields. I'd figure many of them wouldn't want to be entirely reliant on their spells if things gets tight, after seeing how a choppa with their own eyes.

And let's not forget the character Sienna in Vermintide which I personally think it could be worth to give this angle a try as she could well be a source of inspiration for players, and she is apparently approved by GW for the setting so I'd figure it should be acceptable in some form or another.

Now does this mean that a battle wizards should be able to be as strong as a dedicated fighter in terms of swordsmanship? No, of course not. But they should in my opinion be strong enough to make melee, or other combat, a viable choice and that when combined with magic, that character should be pretty strong in combat.
Hyarion

Good recall on Sienna, KOTL, I had forgotten about her.
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
Orin J.

Knight of the Lady wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:58 am I am actually rather in favor of battle mages. We've got battle priests and the mages of the Empire are supposed to spend time on actual battlefields. I'd figure many of them wouldn't want to be entirely reliant on their spells if things gets tight, after seeing how a choppa with their own eyes.

And let's not forget the character Sienna in Vermintide which I personally think it could be worth to give this angle a try as she could well be a source of inspiration for players, and she is apparently approved by GW for the setting so I'd figure it should be acceptable in some form or another.

that's not what we were talking about, they wanted to know about characters who use spells in their swordfighting, which even sienna doesn't do. casting spells as part of their hand to hand isn't something most non-dark magic users have done, since it's dangerous. even sienna is just switching very quickly from a melee weapon to casting a spell and then drawing steel again. although i do second people playing at least the first game for inspiration.