New campaign: Oldenhaller contract aka Boardwalk Empire

For general discussions about WFRP
makrellen

Hey forumites,

I am starting a new campaign in a few weeks and just wanted to share some details.

The setup will be 1st ed with a few houserules thrown in (most notably the Endevours from 4th ed) set in 2312. So just about 10 years after Magnus the Pious has saved the Empire and is busy rebuilding it. The starting point will be the Oldenhaller Contract (which none of my players have tried before) but the idea is that it will be a kick-off for a turf war between the Valantinos and the Huydermans that the players will be dragged into. I have decided that while Magnus is out and about in the Empire he has left the reigns in Nuln to the Grand Theogonist who is a strong opponent of the drink. Enter the factions from the Oldenhaller Contract who are bootlegging into Nuln.

I am aiming for a low fantasy gritty mafia tale setup all based in Nuln.

Anyone who has done anything similar before?
Jackdays

Haven't done anything similar, but that is interesting idea and gives interesting possibilities to expand.

So, basically there would be some sort of prohibition era going on in the Empire. And, Nuln (former capital) is pretty easy going and pretty big city (maybe biggest that time?). Other possibilities to expand idea:
- Bretonnian alcohol has pretty much always been outlawed and smuggled in the Empire. So, that would fit here perfectly. Smuggling of strong and high quality Dwarf beers could be another. Who gets the good deals, with these factions?
- To expand the turf wars: During the war Kislev (refugee) population might have grown bigger in Nuln. So, they could be in business too, with their alcohol.
- To expand the turf wars more: Halfling organized crime ? Anybody… I like the idea of Halfling criminals (taken from WFRP4 Ubersreik).
- Slaanesh cult. After the war and with prohibition going on, the Slaanesh cult might have started to grown in Nuln. They could be building secret taverns, with various other activities.
Welcome to grim and perilous Norsca. Welcome to Kalevala Hammer.

kalevalahammer@gmail.com
www.kalevalahammer.com
Orin J.

you know, banning alcohol would just make the entire dwarf community in the empire criminals. i doubt the karaks would respect it either. there's an interesting political twist, the road wardens trying to nail smugglers while desperately trying not to cause a political nightmare with the empire's most valuable ally...
Hyarion

Whenever I hear "turf war" my mind goes to the movie A Fistful of Dollars. Might be worth a (re)watch if you are unfamiliar.
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
makrellen

Jackdays wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:59 am Haven't done anything similar, but that is interesting idea and gives interesting possibilities to expand.

So, basically there would be some sort of prohibition era going on in the Empire. And, Nuln (former capital) is pretty easy going and pretty big city (maybe biggest that time?). Other possibilities to expand idea:
- Bretonnian alcohol has pretty much always been outlawed and smuggled in the Empire. So, that would fit here perfectly. Smuggling of strong and high quality Dwarf beers could be another. Who gets the good deals, with these factions?
- To expand the turf wars: During the war Kislev (refugee) population might have grown bigger in Nuln. So, they could be in business too, with their alcohol.
- To expand the turf wars more: Halfling organized crime ? Anybody… I like the idea of Halfling criminals (taken from WFRP4 Ubersreik).
- Slaanesh cult. After the war and with prohibition going on, the Slaanesh cult might have started to grown in Nuln. They could be building secret taverns, with various other activities.
Yes - sort of a prohibition but probably only in Nuln itself. I absolutely love your idea about Halfling organized crime - I am thinking smuggling of opium like substances mixed in with their tobacco. Probably hidden in their pies :D
makrellen

Orin J. wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:23 am you know, banning alcohol would just make the entire dwarf community in the empire criminals. i doubt the karaks would respect it either. there's an interesting political twist, the road wardens trying to nail smugglers while desperately trying not to cause a political nightmare with the empire's most valuable ally...
Great input! I am thinking that the no one from the whatch would dare patrol the dwarwen districts so they would be sort of a heaven for drinking. Which would make the divide between law abiding citizens and the dwarfs even bigger. I like that!
Orin J.

another matter to consider is that sigmar isn't the only god in the empire, and the churches of some of the gods like taal/rhya and ulric may decide it's part of their holy duty to allow these gifts to reach their faithful....i think rhya is explictly about wine after all. they might do it out of the laws of their scriptures or possibly hoping to embarass the sigmarite church and cost them some of those elector votes...