Tobcon 3

For general discussions about WFRP
Toby Pilling

Just a quick reminder to all gamers that Tobcon 3 will be taking place at Northfield community centre in London this August Bank Holiday weekend (Saturday and Sunday). Attendees tend to be regulars but newcomers are welcome. The event involves playing in (or GMing) four WFRP sessions over the course of two days - each session 4 hours long. I'm still keen to get a couple more GMs to make sure the Sunday session is full.

Do PM me if you wish to get more details. If GMs could send me their scenario synopsis by the end of this month (May), that would be great.

Toby
The Rangdo of Arg

My scenario synopsis, which I've only just sent in under the wire!

Rough Night for a Red Wedding (4e)

Winter has come to Kislev, but you are on your way to a celebration. You are streltsi, musketeers of Erengrad, proud symbols of the new, modern Kislev. But to bolster his claim to tradition, your boyar has decided to marry off one of his nieces to a prince of the estranged, country-bumpkin line of the family somewhere gods-forsaken in the oblast. Your task is to make sure she and her governess arrive safely at her wedding, and that it happens without a hitch and in a manner befitting her high station, all while making a good impression. It is a dull, ceremonial mission. What could possibly go wrong? In a Slavic-tinged, swashbuckling riff on a WFRP classic, much kvas will be drunk, much glass will be broken and much more than just the happy couple will go bump in the night.
Hyarion

Rangdo, I love that synopsis. If I could make it to Tobcon, I'd be first in line. Hope it goes well!
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
twisted moon

here's mine:

A Matter of State Security
A WFRP Scenario for TobCon 3 by the dark knight of the twisted moon

A Pattern Killer is loose in the Freistadt of Kemperbad; the bodies of his victims turn up weeks or months after their disappearance, debased by signs of torture and the marks of gnawing vermin.
The Watch are on high alert, seeking to catch the twisted perpetrator; their failure has caused a backlash from the good burghers of the town, and now agitators are seeking to use the unrest to rouse the mob for their own ends. Pamphlets have begun to appear claiming that the Freistadt’s thirteen strong Council has some involvement in the deaths. The most recent of these libellous scandal sheets goes too far – accusing the Council of bondage to the Ruinous Powers. The Council will stand for this no more, and so a special team has been assembled from amongst the espionage services to find and neutralise the agitator threat.

This scenario will be run using WFRP Classic Edition.
the dark knight of the twisted moon

https://bit.ly/2m5gfAo

https://bit.ly/2TczEfY
skerrigan

Weird Night at the Wolfshead

On a dark, stormy night a group of travelers make their way through the Drakwald but are forced to make an unexpected stop in the Old World's most unique hostelry. The Wolfshead Coaching Inn’s warm lights and tall walls offer protection against the shambling horrors of the dark but the patrons of this forest fortress are strange and inscrutable.

A scenario for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition.
Verdant Castellan of Bretonnia and Purveyor of the Perilous Realm Podcast
Toby Pilling

Here is the timetable for TOBCON. Can anyone interested in playing let me know their choices by the end of the month (July), I will construct the final schedule. First preference will be given to GMs, as a reward for volunteering:

TOBCON 3 Timetable

SAT AM

GM: The Dark Knight of the Twisted Moon

A Pattern Killer is loose in the Freistadt of Kemperbad; the bodies of his victims turn up weeks or months after their disappearance, debased by signs of torture and the marks of gnawing vermin.
The Watch are on high alert, seeking to catch the twisted perpetrator; their failure has caused a backlash from the good burghers of the town, and now agitators are seeking to use the unrest to rouse the mob for their own ends. Pamphlets have begun to appear claiming that the Freistadt’s thirteen strong Council has some involvement in the deaths. The most recent of these libellous scandal sheets goes too far – accusing the Council of bondage to the Ruinous Powers. The Council will stand for this no more, and so a special team has been assembled from amongst the espionage services to find and neutralise the agitator threat.

Brothers Two
GM: Tadeusz Cantwell

Six survivors meet, in a burnt-out village, sheltering from the Storm of Chaos. The malign forces swept through the village of Rossin on the main road through Ostland in their retreat from the great defeat down south. Refugees clog the capital for protection, the fields have been scorched black. These folk newly met with different tales, band together for protection. United by the whispered tale of the smuggler Lord in nearby Limshof and a hidden treasure in the Forest of Shadow, in the very place the corrupted are hiding before they make their escape north. With thoughts of wealth, the freedom to reinvent themselves, they forget one crucial truth, everybody has a story. As the two brothers return from war, the past, family, survival, and deals made for a better future, can unleash mundane chaotic forces almost as terrible to a person's understanding of themselves, as the great evil itself.

System: Zweihander

Big Trouble in Little Kislev
GM: Wim

As you are waiting for the coach from Bretonnia to arrive, a young woman gets abducted, right under your collective noses. As true heroes, you cannot allow to let that happen, and you vow to do your utmost to find and free her. In this high action adventure set in and around Marienburg, you’ll meet, and beat up, bad guys and monsters of which you didn’t know that they even existed in this city.

The game is one of high action and simple, black and white morality. The system is Feng Shui, with some heavy modifications.

SAT PM

Rough Night for a Red Wedding
GM: Theo

Winter has come to Kislev, but you are on your way to a celebration. You are streltsi, musketeers of Erengrad, proud symbols of the new, modern Kislev. But to bolster his claim to tradition, your boyar has decided to marry off one of his nieces to a prince of the estranged, country-bumpkin line of the family somewhere gods-forsaken in the oblast. Your task is to make sure she and her governess arrive safely at her wedding, and that it happens without a hitch and in a manner befitting her high station, all while making a good impression. It is a dull, ceremonial mission. What could possibly go wrong? In a Slavic-tinged, swashbuckling riff on a WFRP classic, much kvas will be drunk, much glass will be broken and much more than just the happy couple will go bump in the night.

Uses 4th Edition WFRP

Kemperbad Confidential
GM: Steve Hanlon

To say you're not welcome in Kemperbad is an understatement. Since you murdered the esteemed Councilman Otto Richter in his townhouse five years ago, the city hasn't been safe for you, There are outstanding warrants you your executions and the Belladonna family have put the word out on you. What the people of Kemperbad don't know (they weren't asking, and you weren't sticking around to try and explain) was that Councilman Richter was a lunatic with plans to unleash Chaos on the city. You stopped his damn ritual, and every one of those people owes you their lives.

You fled in the night with what you could carry, leaving your lives in the city behind you, forever, you thought. But your old friend Long Jack Baumann got you a message that someone's kicked off Richter's old scheme again. You could leave them to it, and who'd blame you, but you've still got people in Kemperbad, and who else knows how to deal with this kind of situation? So here you are, trying to slip back in to Kemperbad as quietly as you left, trying to save a town full of people who hate you.

A noir-inspired scenario of crime, corruption and love.

System: WFRP 4th edition

The Black Island
GM: Rob Rees

All the old men told you to never go to the Black Island, that dark and terrible things lurked there and no-one who ever visited returned. You grew up with these tales but also others of gold in the darkness, of gems and magical wonders. Quieter tales of the adventurers who did return to the island but vowed never to return, not that they needed to. Those who take the risk and pluck a treasure from the island would never have to fish or darn or haul again.

You're young but you can already see the lives that lie ahead of you. So you've borrowed a boat and you're sailing over the grey sea to brave the Black Island and meet your destiny.

Rules: WFRP 4th Edition

SUN AM

The Revenge of the Necroprancer

It's a bad day to be the Prefect of the Bridge District. This morning a local merchant was found hanging from the Grand Bridge with horseshoes in his pockets. The local gossip says suicide but it seems unlikely he broke his own fingers or branded his own forehead with a magical symbol.

Looks like dark forces are at work and if you can't get to the bottom of it quickly the whole city may be damned.

Rules: A hack of the Lasers and Feelings

The Tale of Rose Red & Snow White
(Written by Mathias Sthahle)
GM: Rolph Segers

Your veteran group 'SAS' (Search and Seizure) consisting out of veteran bountyhunters has finally gained some traction in Middenland as you find yourself invited by no less than Countess Frieda Neufrau von Saponatheim requesting you to find her lost Daughter Ilse, known by the commonfolk as 'Schneeweiss'...

“For over a year we have been struck with grief over the tragic loss of princess Ilse. She walked into the Reikwald forest a year ago, and has been presumed dead until now.
Her body was never found, but my lords best hunter swore that he could read the track in the forest like an open book: Little Ilse was most likely consumed by wild beasts.
Since that day, we’ve been mourning her. Until recently, when we received information suggesting Ilse might be alive after all. We want you to find her.”

“The hunter who swore that Ilse was dead is a man named Wilhelm Grimm. Unfortunately he left our service last year, but he should still be nearby. We want you to locate him and ask him how he can be so sure that Ilse died in the forest. Tell him that we, the countess, command him to help you locate the girl’s remains, lest he will lose his head.
Wilhelm comes from the town of Weissbruck, and his family might know where to find him. We also want you to keep us informed about everything you discover regarding this matter.”

GM: Stuart Kerrigan

On a dark, stormy night a group of travelers make their way through the Drakwald but are forced to make an unexpected stop in the Old World's most unique hostelry. The Wolfshead Coaching Inn’s warm lights and tall walls offer protection against the shambling horrors of the dark but the patrons of this forest fortress are strange and inscrutable.

A scenario for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition

SUN PM

Rise of the Ratmen
GM: Steve Ellis (5 player game)

The Horned Rat calls it’s children to rise up and claim the lands of Men and Dwarfs! Play the fractious Clan-Lords of the Skaven as you plot the ruination of the lands above and unleash the tide of squeaking, scrabbling vermin against your enemies!

System will probably be a variant on Cold City/Hot War (Similar to the Karl Franz is Dead! Game)

The Dirty Half-Dozen
GM: David Hewitt

Six slayers seek death and glory... Who will fall first? Who will achieve the greatest death? Who will die shamefully?

Embrace your fate. Reclaim your honour. Die well.

WFRP 4th edition

The Exotic Spresm
GM: Toby Pilling

Even the louche and decadent followers of the Prince of Pleasure whisper of the ‘Exotic Spresm’ in awe. Rumoured to originate in fabled Cathay, this technique (or is it a state of exaltation, or a position?) is said to achieve the perfect peak of sensual satisfaction.
A proscribed manual describing it is said to have appeared in Altdorf. Investigators are sent to track it down.

WFRP 1st Edition
Orin J.

Good luck with your games, guys! as a quick aside, is "WFRP Classic Edition" 1st or 2nd edition? that kinda stuck out at me.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

Orin J. wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:05 pm Good luck with your games, guys! as a quick aside, is "WFRP Classic Edition" 1st or 2nd edition? that kinda stuck out at me.
I'd be surprised if that wasn't 1st edition. Twisted has been around a while and as far as i know hasn't moved away from 1st. Everything else is heresy.
twisted moon

totsuzenheni wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:44 pmI'd be surprised if that wasn't 1st edition. Everything else is heresy.
precisely; the one true edition (with my own personal modifications). although i did run zweihander last year and oldhammer fantasy roleplay the year before that, in acts of wild experimentation.

i've sent my preferences off. i was amused to see steve and i are in synergy again, both with games set in the mighty metropolis of kemperbad.

i hope someone will be incorporating a rubik's cube based mechanism into their game again. that's a trend that shouldn't die off just yet.

wolph42

I see i forgot the system. Rose Red scenario is 2nd ed. And its an investigative plot.

ah and one other thing: will there be people on friday evening in the plough? Given the fact that ill arrive at friday I could use a beer and a chat before going to sleep!
tadcan

I'll be there on Firday. I think we met around 8pm last year for a meal?
Toby Pilling

I'll post the timetable with everyone's allocated games this weekend. Just a quick note to say that after a couple of players dropped out, we have a couple of spare slots - if anyone has a friend who wants to come, do let me know asap.

Toby
Toby Pilling

OK, here's the final timetable with players allocated. As you can see, this year we have a few players lacking at this stage after some dropouts. We could certainly use two or three more each day - Rich Murkin is only a possible for Sunday. If you know anyone who wants to come, do get them to drop me a line asap. Of course, it is also likely that we will pick up some players on the day who are attendees of the convention looking for games.

See you all on Saturday who are coming. games start at 10am so please try to get there early so as not to delay things.

Until then!

TOBCON 3 Timetable

SAT AM (10am-2pm)

GM: The Dark Knight of the Twisted Moon

1. Rolph
2. James Mc
3. Michael Q
4. Toby

Brothers Two
GM: Tadeusz Cantwell

Six survivors meet, in a burnt-out village, sheltering from the Storm of Chaos. The malign forces swept through the village of Rossin on the main road through Ostland in their retreat from the great defeat down south. Refugees clog the capital for protection, the fields have been scorched black. These folk newly met with different tales, band together for protection. United by the whispered tale of the smuggler Lord in nearby Limshof and a hidden treasure in the Forest of Shadow, in the very place the corrupted are hiding before they make their escape north. With thoughts of wealth, the freedom to reinvent themselves, they forget one crucial truth, everybody has a story. As the two brothers return from war, the past, family, survival, and deals made for a better future, can unleash mundane chaotic forces almost as terrible to a person's understanding of themselves, as the great evil itself.

System: Zweihander

1. Steve Ellis
2. John T
3. Peter C
4. Stuart Kerrigan

Big Trouble in Little Kislev
GM: Wim

As you are waiting for the coach from Bretonnia to arrive, a young woman gets abducted, right under your collective noses. As true heroes, you cannot allow to let that happen, and you vow to do your utmost to find and free her. In this high action adventure set in and around Marienburg, you’ll meet, and beat up, bad guys and monsters of which you didn’t know that they even existed in this city.

The game is one of high action and simple, black and white morality. The system is Feng Shui, with some heavy modifications.

1. Rob Rees
2. Steve Hanlon
3. Theo

SAT PM (3pm-7pm)

Rough Night for a Red Wedding
GM: Theo

Uses 4th Edition WFRP
1. Tad
2. Michael Q
3. Stuart Kerrigan

Kemperbad Confidential
GM: Steve Hanlon

To say you're not welcome in Kemperbad is an understatement. Since you murdered the esteemed Councilman Otto Richter in his townhouse five years ago, the city hasn't been safe for you, There are outstanding warrants you your executions and the Belladonna family have put the word out on you. What the people of Kemperbad don't know (they weren't asking, and you weren't sticking around to try and explain) was that Councilman Richter was a lunatic with plans to unleash Chaos on the city. You stopped his damn ritual, and every one of those people owes you their lives.

You fled in the night with what you could carry, leaving your lives in the city behind you, forever, you thought. But your old friend Long Jack Baumann got you a message that someone's kicked off Richter's old scheme again. You could leave them to it, and who'd blame you, but you've still got people in Kemperbad, and who else knows how to deal with this kind of situation? So here you are, trying to slip back in to Kemperbad as quietly as you left, trying to save a town full of people who hate you.

A noir-inspired scenario of crime, corruption and love.

System: WFRP 4th edition
1. Wim
2. Rolph
3. Steve Ellis
4. James Mc
5. Twisted Moon

The Black Island

All the old men told you to never go to the Black Island, that dark and terrible things lurked there and no-one who ever visited returned. You grew up with these tales but also others of gold in the darkness, of gems and magical wonders. Quieter tales of the adventurers who did return to the island but vowed never to return, not that they needed to. Those who take the risk and pluck a treasure from the island would never have to fish or darn or haul again.

You're young but you can already see the lives that lie ahead of you. So you've borrowed a boat and you're sailing over the grey sea to brave the Black Island and meet your destiny.

Rules: WFRP 4th Edition

1. John T
2. Peter C
3. Toby

SUN AM (10am-2pm)

The Revenge of the Necroprancer

It's a bad day to be the Prefect of the Bridge District. This morning a local merchant was found hanging from the Grand Bridge with horseshoes in his pockets. The local gossip says suicide but it seems unlikely he broke his own fingers or branded his own forehead with a magical symbol.

Looks like dark forces are at work and if you can't get to the bottom of it quickly the whole city may be damned.

Rules: A hack of the Lasers and Feelings

1. Steve Hanlon
2. Tad
3. Toby
4. Theo

The Tale of Rose Red & Snow White
(Written by Mathias Sthahle)
GM: Rolph Segers

Your veteran group 'SAS' (Search and Seizure) consisting out of veteran bountyhunters has finally gained some traction in Middenland as you find yourself invited by no less than Countess Frieda Neufrau von Saponatheim requesting you to find her lost Daughter Ilse, known by the commonfolk as 'Schneeweiss'...

“For over a year we have been struck with grief over the tragic loss of princess Ilse. She walked into the Reikwald forest a year ago, and has been presumed dead until now.
Her body was never found, but my lords best hunter swore that he could read the track in the forest like an open book: Little Ilse was most likely consumed by wild beasts.
Since that day, we’ve been mourning her. Until recently, when we received information suggesting Ilse might be alive after all. We want you to find her.”

“The hunter who swore that Ilse was dead is a man named Wilhelm Grimm. Unfortunately he left our service last year, but he should still be nearby. We want you to locate him and ask him how he can be so sure that Ilse died in the forest. Tell him that we, the countess, command him to help you locate the girl’s remains, lest he will lose his head.
Wilhelm comes from the town of Weissbruck, and his family might know where to find him. We also want you to keep us informed about everything you discover regarding this matter.”

1. Twisted Moon
2. Michael Q
3. Dave Hewitt
4. Rich Murkin?

GM: Stuart Kerrigan

A scenario for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition

1. Wim
2. Steve Ellis
3. James Mc
4. John T
5. Peter C

SUN PM (3pm-7pm)

Rise of the Ratmen
GM: Steve Ellis (5 player game)

The Horned Rat calls it’s children to rise up and claim the lands of Men and Dwarfs! Play the fractious Clan-Lords of the Skaven as you plot the ruination of the lands above and unleash the tide of squeaking, scrabbling vermin against your enemies!

System will probably be a variant on Cold City/Hot War (Similar to the Karl Franz is Dead! Game)
1. Rob Rees
2. John T
3. Peter C
4. Stuart Kerrigan
5. Rich Murkin?

The Dirty Half-Dozen
GM: David Hewitt

Six slayers seek death and glory... Who will fall first? Who will achieve the greatest death? Who will die shamefully?

Embrace your fate. Reclaim your honour. Die well.

WFRP 4th edition
1. Steve Hanlon
2. Theo
3. Michael Q

The Exotic Spresm
GM: Toby Pilling

Even the louche and decadent followers of the Prince of Pleasure whisper of the ‘Exotic Spresm’ in awe. Rumoured to originate in fabled Cathay, this technique (or is it a state of exaltation, or a position?) is said to achieve the perfect peak of sensual satisfaction.
A proscribed manual describing it is said to have appeared in Altdorf. Investigators are sent to track it down.

WFRP 1st Edition

1. Wim
2. Tad
3. Rolph
4. James Mc
5. Twisted Moon
Herr Arnulfe

I really wish I could attend TobCon this year, but alas I'm currently in between jobs so it would be financially irresponsible. Hope everyone has fun -- I'm definitely planning to be there next year.
wolph42

@Arnulfe: That's a pain, we'll miss you! Me especially as now I have to pay for the room entirely ;) . I surely hope you'll be there next year! And best of luck with finding a new job!

As for the Friday night drink, I noticed that I fly from 21:00 to 22:00 (so I guess I land locally @ 21:00), then still travel from heathrow to northfields, dump stuff @ airbnb place so Ill probably will be there around ten/ten thirty -ish. People still think they'll be there?
tadcan

Last time we were there until closing time. I reckon a few of us will be there chatting. For the con, I'll print out the schedule and blurbs to entice some of the other convention attendees to join us.
twisted moon

if you find yourself in london tomorrow or sunday, pop along. you'll have a blast.

tadcan

Hanging out in the beer garden. Anyone else here?