One week to flesh out a new adventure ...

For general discussions about WFRP
Whymme

In my campaign, the group is traveling in an alternative dimension, The Lands of Dream. At the end of the last session they arrived at a castle / winery that produces dream wine.

By the end of the next session I want to have accomplished several things:
* It has become clear that the castle is, or at least harbours, a den of Khainite cultists;
* PCs have learned the unsavory method in which dream wine is produced;
* they are succumbed to the monologue of the cult leader, in which several key campaign plot points are revealed;
* they discover the secret tunnel to the regular Warhmmer world and use it to return home;
* that tunnel is destroyed at the end of the session. The castle should remain, though; I’ll be needing it later.

What I have now:
The family that owns the castle consists of a father, mother, son and daughter. They have been in the dream wine business for ages, abusing peasants in doing so.
The children will appear more enlightened and plead to their parents to change this practice, to treat the peasants better. Things come to a head at the dinner where the PCs are present.
That night, the children start a revolution, possibly aided by the PCs, and take over the castle. However, these children are Khainite cultists. They murder their parents and imprison the PCs, with the intention of using them as raw materials for the dream wine / the soil that the vines grow on.
Somehow (possibly with the help of the peasants) the PCs escape and flee through the tunnel.

What I need:
* this whole scenario to be fleshed out a bit. That’s why I’m posting here; I have to run it next week and I don’t even have the names of the NPCs yet. Do you know of premade NPCs or locations that I could use as examples?
* do you see problems with the scenario sketch that I gave you above?
satakuua

Is the wine good?
Orin J.

...why would the children bother with overthrowing their parents if they stand to inheret the whole shebang to begin with and could just murder them for khaine?
Whymme

satakuua wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:46 pm Is the wine good?
The wine is good. A bit of background: The grapes for the wine come from a plant which grows out of human dreams. The wine mixes the dreams, hopes, fears, memories, of several people, so that when you drink from it, you get a short burst of lots of dreams and memories of a lot of people together. It is rather addictive in the 'real' world.

Orin J. wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:54 pm ...why would the children bother with overthrowing their parents if they stand to inheret the whole shebang to begin with and could just murder them for khaine?
Good question. One that I have to find a good answer to.
It could be that the children don't have the power to kill their parents on their own. Or, that if they managed to do it, they would not be accepted by the peasants or the castle staff - who would follow people who murder their own parents?
Another reason would be in line with the second answer; by leading the peasants in revolution, the children position themselves as the natural leaders of those peasants. Much more than if they would just kill their parents and proclaim themselves as the new boss.

Thanks for the questions. I always find that talking about a scenario helps me to flesh it out, and that's what I need now.
Jadrax

Orin J. wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:54 pm ...why would the children bother with overthrowing their parents if they stand to inheret the whole shebang to begin with and could just murder them for khaine?
The Wine of Dreams is said by some to bring about eternal youth.
Last edited by Jadrax on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whymme

Jadrax wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:21 amThe Wind of Dreams is said by some to bring about eternal youth.
I haven’t read the book, so my campaign has dream wine, not the wine of dreams.
hallucyon

Whymme wrote:Another reason would be in line with the second answer; by leading the peasants in revolution, the children position themselves as the natural leaders of those peasants.
Whymme wrote:Somehow (possibly with the help of the peasants) the PCs escape and flee through the tunnel.
If peasants were followers of the vintners' children, why would they free their leaders' prisoners, i.e. PCs?
Whymme wrote:It could be that the children don't have the power to kill their parents on their own. Or, that if they managed to do it, they would not be accepted by the peasants or the castle staff - who would follow people who murder their own parents?
Whymme wrote:That night, the children start a revolution, possibly aided by the PCs, and take over the castle. However, these children are Khainite cultists. They murder their parents and imprison the PCs, with the intention of using them as raw materials for the dream wine / the soil that the vines grow on.
Somehow (possibly with the help of the peasants) the PCs escape and flee through the tunnel.
If peasants weren't adherents of the vintners' children, why would they free the murderers' associates, i.e. PCs?
hallucyon

Whymme wrote:I don’t even have the names of the NPCs yet.
The family name: Somnelié. (Pun intended.)
Orin J.

hallucyon wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:28 pm
This is warhammer, we intend EVERY PUN!
Orin J.

hallucyon wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:35 pm
Whymme wrote:Another reason would be in line with the second answer; by leading the peasants in revolution, the children position themselves as the natural leaders of those peasants.
Whymme wrote:Somehow (possibly with the help of the peasants) the PCs escape and flee through the tunnel.
If peasants were followers of the vintners' children, why would they free their leaders' prisoners, i.e. PCs?
Whymme wrote:It could be that the children don't have the power to kill their parents on their own. Or, that if they managed to do it, they would not be accepted by the peasants or the castle staff - who would follow people who murder their own parents?
Whymme wrote:That night, the children start a revolution, possibly aided by the PCs, and take over the castle. However, these children are Khainite cultists. They murder their parents and imprison the PCs, with the intention of using them as raw materials for the dream wine / the soil that the vines grow on.
If peasants weren't adherents of the vintners' children, why would they free the murderers' associates, i.e. PCs?
[sidenote: oh, the formatting is gonna go to hell on this post....]

what if the children lead the peasants in a revolution, then sacrifice their parents to khaine and pin the blame on the adventurers (being convenient scapegoats since they're strangers, transients of unknown faith and people willing to kill for money- they certainly fit the requirements for secret cult)?
Whymme

hallucyon wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:35 pm If peasants were followers of the vintners' children, why would they free their leaders' prisoners, i.e. PCs?
Earlier in the adventure, the PCs helped a peasant who had fled from the castle. He gave them a bracelet to thank them; the peasants would recognise that and return the favour the PCs had done to one of them. At least, that is the theory.

Although I like the idea of the brother/sister blaming the PCs. Hm, more to think about ...
Hyarion

Orin J. wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:50 pm
hallucyon wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:28 pm
This is warhammer, we intend EVERY PUN!
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.