Alternate Castle Wittgenstein maps

Post your scenarios, house rules, supplements, and anything else here
Theo

I posted this in the WFRP Game Masters and 1st Edition Fans Facebook groups as well, but ISTR not everyone here is on there.

Preparing to run the raid on Castle Wittgenstein in Death on the Reik, I looked more closely at the castle map and, perhaps unsurprisingly, found myself dissatisfied with it despite its prettiness. The scale was way off, with the doors apparently less than two feet wide if reading it at face value and the walls much too thin, and the rooms very cramped. However, scaling the buildings up to a more reasonable scale meant having an improbably huge open courtyard. I ended up keeping the buildings at more or less the same sizes relative to each other (but scaled up quite a bit from the original map) but rearranging them into a tightly packed square around a smaller courtyard. As a bonus, this looks quite a bit more like the compact, square baileys on the Ian Miller painting. :)

I've only done the Outer Bailey and guard tower so far and will get back to the Inner Bailey, probably after the next session next week. Here are my alternate maps for the Outer Bailey: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wy2e-D ... sp=sharing
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

This problem has been noted before a number of times and i'm glad someone is tackling it. (Maybe Gideon can add it to his TEWC Companion.) In particular you might recall that a year or two ago (i think) someone was asking for advice on building a Wittgenstein Castle miniature. As i recall the most egregious example of poor cartography was that the solarium cum aviary on the map was a completely different size to that which can be deduced from the description. I did a quick web search but i can't find the blog of the person who was making the miniature, and i'd link you to the discussions but alas the forums they were on have gone, and in any case i don't think anyone actually got around to redrawing the map.

I wonder if Cubicle 7 will redraw them.
Arnizipal

Since they lost their dedicated map map fanatic when Andy Law left, I wouldn't count on it.
Jackdays

WFRP4 version of TEW is coming. It might feature new maps from the castle too.
Welcome to grim and perilous Norsca. Welcome to Kalevala Hammer.

kalevalahammer@gmail.com
www.kalevalahammer.com
Gideon

totsuzenheni wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:46 am In particular you might recall that a year or two ago (i think) someone was asking for advice on building a Wittgenstein Castle miniature. I did a quick web search but i can't find the blog of the person who was making the miniature, and i'd link you to the discussions but alas the forums they were on have gone, and in any case i don't think anyone actually got around to redrawing the map.
The Castle Wittgenstein model was discussed on this blog, but the project does not appear to have gone anywhere:

http://thedarksideofwillmark.blogspot.c ... e-von.html
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

Gideon wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:04 pm The Castle Wittgenstein model was discussed on this blog, but the project does not appear to have gone anywhere:

http://thedarksideofwillmark.blogspot.c ... e-von.html
That's the one. Appreciated Gideon. (There was also some more discussion about it and measurements in The Enemy Within on the (now defunct) Strike to Stun forum.)
Gideon

totsuzenheni wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:26 pm There was also some more discussion about it and measurements in The Enemy Within on the (now defunct) Strike to Stun forum.
Yes, I think the conclusion was that the x and y distances need to be doubled.
Gideon

Theo wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:01 am Here are my alternate maps for the Outer Bailey: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wy2e-D ... sp=sharing
This map looks great. I am looking forward to seeing your version of the Inner Bailey.
Theo

Gideon wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:03 am This map looks great. I am looking forward to seeing your version of the Inner Bailey.
Thank you!

I've realised since that some of my calculations and scales were off, so there'll be a "second edition" of the Outer Bailey along with the Inner. I'll see if I find some time to work on it next week, in between prepping for my PC's heading into the Inner Bailey... :)
FasterThanJesus

totsuzenheni wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:46 am This problem has been noted before a number of times and i'm glad someone is tackling it. (Maybe Gideon can add it to his TEWC Companion.) In particular you might recall that a year or two ago (i think) someone was asking for advice on building a Wittgenstein Castle miniature. As i recall the most egregious example of poor cartography was that the solarium cum aviary on the map was a completely different size to that which can be deduced from the description. I did a quick web search but i can't find the blog of the person who was making the miniature, and i'd link you to the discussions but alas the forums they were on have gone, and in any case i don't think anyone actually got around to redrawing the map.

I wonder if Cubicle 7 will redraw them.
Alas, despite being a very nice looking map, it's pretty much identical.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

FasterThanJesus wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:57 pm
totsuzenheni wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:46 am I wonder if Cubicle 7 will redraw them.
Alas, despite being a very nice looking map, it's pretty much identical.
That's not unexpected, though it is disappointing.
johnfinnswife

Theo wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:43 pm
Gideon wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:03 am This map looks great. I am looking forward to seeing your version of the Inner Bailey.
Thank you!

I've realised since that some of my calculations and scales were off, so there'll be a "second edition" of the Outer Bailey along with the Inner. I'll see if I find some time to work on it next week, in between prepping for my PC's heading into the Inner Bailey... :)
Hello mate, did you ever manage to get around to redrawing the Inner Bailey, please?
Theo

johnfinnswife wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:56 pm
Theo wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:43 pm
Thank you!

Hello mate, did you ever manage to get around to redrawing the Inner Bailey, please?
It's unfinished, but I'll post it when it's done!
Ash247

Loved your version of the outer castle, can't wait to see the rest of it.

Great work
Zisse

C7 announced that they corrected some scale on the map for the castle in the new DotR PDF. Does this fix it?
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

Zisse wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:21 am C7 announced that they corrected some scale on the map for the castle in the new DotR PDF. Does this fix it?
It depends what it is they've done. If they've simply rescaled the whole map then i don't think it would fix all the problems, and i think it would create more. As i recall one of the problems was that some of the rooms were out of proportion with others, as well as being a different size on the map to the text. I think it requires a reworking, at least in terms of the relative size of some parts of the castle to others. (Of course it also requires the text to match the maps.) When was this announcement made?
Zisse

https://www.cubicle7games.com/wfrp-deat ... ted-files/

"The scale of the Wittgenstein Castle map adjusted, it was previously too small."
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

I'm interested to read what people make of the new scaling. I still haven't bought Death On The Rear.
Ash247

They've just doubled the scale, so one yard is now two.

Also they have made the bridge to the centre tower much longer.
Capitaneus Fractus

Not really related, but a very long time ago, I have made this document (without key, so players could progressively discover it) which superpose the different layers of Castle Wittgenstein, and underline few layer inconsistencies, such as the scale, the wind rose (but that might perhaps be an error from the French edition rather from the original one...) or few other bugs like the well of captain Hegel's tower (#25) which isn't over the underground stream or that odd forest which take place over the Reik river...

http://maitre.du.monde.free.fr/Jdr/Warh ... nstein.pdf
Veniam, Duelli Malleum, phantasticum ludum personae uidebo, in fera terra periculosorum aduenturorum ludebam.