Removing advantage from the game?

The enemy lurks in shadows
kiwihiker

Just jumping into this thread, Up in Arms has - in my experience so far - a workable mechanism for advantage. And we cap the advantage spend by any character/NPC to their initiative bonus. Which acts as a mechanically realistic guiderail to prevent low-IB characters from achieving things they shouldn't be able to mechanically do over multiple rounds if the advantage pool is large enough. The critical thing is ensuring that you bleed unused advantage from the pool if the party isn't actively building it.

Personally I like the advantage mechanism (and the Up in Arms version especially); it reflects momentum in battle, and encourages players to act smart in a fight to build their SLs, build the advantage pool, and prevent the opponent from doing likewise. And makes investing in speed in battle (initiative) something that really pays off, just as it does in any real fight.

Thumbs up for advantage in my books :)
ChaosArto

I'm just preparing our group to move to WFRP 4th edition and I will house rule several aspects of the game to make it tighter, leaner and more dramatic.

For Advantage I will do this:

- Advantage is a group resource for the entire Party, not individual
- NPC will not have Advantage at all as a resource
- As GM, I will beginning of each round determine the level of advantage from 1-10 points that PCs have
- Some skills and talents may generate Advantage to the common pool during the round
- Any unspent Advantage is lost at the end of the round so you cannot hoard it, Advantage only lives in the moment

This system is closer to what Conan 2d20 had in mind. It's much faster and makes the party act as a a one unit sharing Advantage.

EDIT: I only now noticed Up in Arms! Appendix 1: Group Advantage. Well, it is a logical evolution.