Hedgefolk stuff

The thousand threads
Drop Bear

may be doing a 2e rpg game soon, one of my character options will be a Hedge Wizard/Hedegefolk, who I hope to sideline in to basic Arcane magic before going back to Hedegecraft.

anyway the GM has let me know the campaign she wants to run, I should be able to work my way through three closely related Basic Careers and most of a Advanced one before the campaign runs through the book adventures.

should it drag on due to home brew interludes of extra RP XP I don't want to go Witch, but would like to get some basic Wizard Lore magic from a single Collage, I'm working on a new Trait that is kind of like Witchcraft only coming at it from an other direction, working title is "Wizardcraft" like Witchcraft it lets those with Witchlores learn Wizard Spell of a TN 15 or less but only from a single Lore you need an Arcane Language and have the Petty Magic Arcane to pick up this trait.

the Fluff is this is how Hedge Folk conscripted by the collages hide their Witchlores, they learn Wizardcraft and live out their lives pretending to be Journeymen or lower ranked Magister.
Drop Bear

The first draft of Wizardcraft.

New Talent: Wizardcraft
Description: You have managed to survive the perils of hedge wizardry and teach yourself more powerful techniques of magic use. This gives you access to spells beyond Petty Magic but since you must figure out each spell on your own, your progress is slower than that of a Magister. Wizardcraft allows you to learn any spell from a single Arcane Lore with a Casting Number of 15 or less, but you must pay 200 xp for each one. You must Speak Arcane Language skill and possess Petty Magic: Arcane. If you already possess a magical Lore and choose to pass throw the Journeyman Wizard you may take this Talent in place of Arcane Lore or Dark Lore.

By possessing this Talent and the spells it allows you to learn you are capable of passing yourself off as a Journeyman Wizard or even as a lower ranked Magister. It is rumoured that If they exist the so called and presumed mythical“Hedge Lords”thow mastering all the lesser spells of a given Lore may be able to unlock the full and true version of that Lore, but no one believes that Hedge Lords actually exist and if they Did such a feat would be impossible without resorting to some as yet unknown form of Dark Magic.
Drop Bear

Working on an other Hedgefolk Career called the "Hedge Sage" where the Hedgewise are the Community leaders the Sages are Hermits who accumulate knowledge and Lore.
Hyarion

If that's how you want to solve the problem, I think that's fine, but a person with the Wizardcraft talent probably shouldn't or wouldn't be able to pass themselves off as a real wizard to another actual wizard. Nor to a persistent witchhunter.
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
Drop Bear

With the right Career path they could, some kind of Hedge magic then Apprentice Wizard, then back to Hedgecraft, if they have Witch Lore Hedge they could go as far as Journeyman Wizard or even Magister and beg off scrutiny by saying they aren't that talented, wander off in to the countryside as a "Perpetual Apprentice" or 2nd rate Magister until they are forgotten and they have valid paperwork should a Magister or Witch Hunter comes sniffing around.

they would have the Academics, the Petty & Lesser Magics and even some minor Lore Spells so they could pass themselves off. Back in the day I had a Character who pulled this Con using Witchcraft and because they only drew from one type of Wizard Magic and already knew a number of Arcane Languages didn't have to resort to the "Hedge Magic" talent and never got Dark Magic so dodged the complications normally associated with Witchcraft, unlike the "Legitimate" Wizard who couldnt lay his hands on that 2nd magic item but wanted that extra Casting Dice so he could cast those high TN spells.
Hyarion

That's fair, but if you get to the Apprentice Wizard and/or Journeyman Wizard career, then I don't see the need for a Wizardcraft talent because you already have some (albeit limited) access to College Magic.
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
Drop Bear

you can only have one Lore, if you already have Witch Lore you can't have an Arcane Lore or a Divine Lore and depending on your GM Dark Lore. this lets you pass as a proper wizard without Witchcraft if you alredy have an other Lore.