Character advancement

The enemy lurks in shadows
jayeff

Hi guys

I am having a lot of trouble getting my head around the 'completing a career' section on p48. I could explain what I think its saying and someone could explain what its actually saying. But I might not make sense of that either. So possibly the best option is if I could get an actual example then I can deconstruct that to see what the rules are trying to tell me.

I get that at Level 1 you need to have made 5 advances in each of the 3 'cross symbol' characteristics. (So that's 15 advances total)
But at level 2 does the 10 have to be in the single 'crossed axes' characteristic or in that charcteristic plus all three level one characteristics as well? (So 40 advances total)

Then onto skills, there are 8 at level one. And each has to be advanced once. I think. But at level 2 there arent 8, there are only 6.

Then 1 talent from current level. Well that's a no brainer so no confusion there.

I tried to find guidance online like a Youtube video but the only one I could find sorta skimmed it a bit; and it was clear in the comments that people were still kinda baffled.

They really needed to at least put an example in the book for this.
Zisse

Hi, I understand it this way:
- you have access to advance all attributes that are marked for your current level and those below. Therefore you need 10 advances in all 4 attributes.
- also you can advance all skills from your current level downward, so you have e.g. 14 available. You need 10 advances in any of these.
- talents seem quite clear
jayeff

Ok, thanks. Getting there, still need to clarify it a little though

So at level 2 is that 10 total for Levels 1 & 2. Meaning another 5 in Level 2, in addition to the 5 at level 1. Or is that 10 in Level 2 in addition to the 5 at level 1. Making 15 total so far?
jayeff

Ok so I think, after playing with the Hammergen character maker, that it looks like it's 10 total in a characterristic before you advance to 3rd level. And I assume the same applies with skills and like the last poster said at level 1 it has to be in all 8, but at level 2 it's to be 8 of the 14. Maybe, still fuzzy on that one.
Glorthindel

Yes, for skills it needs to just be ten levels in 8 of the 14 ('Up in Arms' makes it a bit clearer, as the new careers in that book have more than 8 skills at first level, but the book states they still only need 8 of them levelled up for the career to count as completed)

Also, remember you might have started with some extra points if one of the skills was part of your racial skills. Those points count towards the amount bought too.
jayeff

Thanks. I think Ive got it. I dont have the Up in Arms book yet to see that point illustrated as clearly. But a bit of headscratching looking at the Hammergen advanced generator its pretty obvious on a starting Level 2 character that all 8 Level 1 skills go to at least 5. And with a 3rd level starting character the eight includes some from Level 2 options advanced to 10. So I think Im good to go now.

I do still need to deep dive character creation and take a character through the levelling up process, I'm sure it'll all click then.

This is all with the intention to convert 1st Ed characters to 4th which is going to tie me in knots trying to port across homogenised 3rd/4th career characters who went all over the map to a focused 1 (or 2) career model. Espcialy with classes that dont exist anymore (Templer/ Targeteer) that there's no real equivelant to. Or never really did to begin with as they were in Warpstone (Protectress).

Bit of a shame that Hammergen advanced generator doesnt let you jump across careers so you can make, for example a Level 1 Spy that was Level 2 Charlatan. or maybe you can and I just need to figure it out.
macd21

For targeteer the closest equivalent would probably be Archer (from up in arms), I’m guessing?
jayeff

I havent got Up in Arms yet but Archer sounds like its the right fit. From the main book I was probably going to go with Scout.
M1Coraz0n

thanks for info
Capitaneus Fractus

For the templar, it depends of which god serves the said templar...
Myrmidia? -> knight of the Blazing Sun (Up in Arms, p. 32)
Ulric? -> knight of the White Wolf (UIA, p. 34)

Another god? Either adapt from those two careers or use the knight (Warhammer fantasy roleplay, p. 111) or the warrior priest (WFRP4, p. 116) as an ersatz?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vKO ... J6F2OXtbG/
Veniam, Duelli Malleum, phantasticum ludum personae uidebo, in fera terra periculosorum aduenturorum ludebam.