Enemy With Shadows Details

The enemy lurks in shadows
skerrigan

These dropped on Facebook...

RETAIL PRICE $39.99 FOR ENEMY IN SHADOWS.
$34.99 FOR THE COMPANION BOOK.
Release date: 15th of August 2019.

At the appointed time, we shall rise from our secret places and throw down the towns and cities of the Empire. Chaos will cover this land, and we, the Chosen Servants, shall be exalted in HIS eyes. Hail to Tzeentch, Changer of the Ways! Njawrr'thakh 'Lzimbarr Tzeentch!'

Welcome to the revised and updated Director's Cut of one of the most highly regarded roleplaying campaigns ever written! Enemy in Shadows presents the first part of the epic Enemy Within campaign, the sequence of War hammer Fantasy Roleplay adventures that inspired a generation of gamers. So, gather your heroes as you take them from humble beginnings as penniless adventurers to the halls of the great and powerful, where every decision can change the fate of the Empire.

Enemy in Shadows Includes:
The first two adventures of the Enemy Within campaign: Mistaken Identity, and Shadows over Bogenhafen, both of which are revised and updated by Graeme Davis, legendary WFRP author, and one of the original writers of the campaign.

A selection of 'Grognard Boxes' that add entirely new ways to play through the adventures, ensuring even those who have played the Enemy Within campaign before will find Enemy in Shadows fresh and new.
A complete guide to Bogenhafen, one of the most important towns in the Reikland, full of exciting locations to visit and explore.

The Enemy in Shadows Companion is the first of our 5-part series of companion volumes to the Enemy Within campaign. It contains a wealth of supplementary material to not only expand Enemy in Shadows, but also support any WFRP games set in the Empire.

The Enemy in Shadows Companion is an essential supplement to the first part of Enemy Within campaign, and to roleplaying in the Reikland as a whole, making it a vital addition to any WFRP collection.

Enemy in Shadows Companion Includes:

Guest Commentaries: Phil Gallagher and Graeme Davis, two of the original Enemy Within campaign writers, reflect on creating one of the greatest campaigns ever written.
The Empire: A deep examination of the Empire, the primary setting for the Enemy Within campaign.
Ready-made Characters: A selection of 6 pre-generated Characters, with a variety of optional secrets and relationships to personalise them to taste.
Road Travel: Full rules for travelling the roads of the Empire, and the road wardens who patrol them.
Supporting Cast: A huge cast of incidental NPCs that can be added to any WFRP adventure, with hints and tips for how to use them.
Bonus Content: A collection of short adventures and encounters that can be added to any WFRP game, including revised and updated versions of classics such as On the Road, The Affair of the Hidden Jewel, and The Pandemonium Carnival.

Verdant Castellan of Bretonnia and Purveyor of the Perilous Realm Podcast
Knight of the Lady

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
Chuck
Power Behind the Throne

The companion volume sounds amazing.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

I think so too @Chuck. I think those are good areas to flesh out a little more for general use and for the campaign. I like what i'm reading.
sx dwarf

Chuck wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:41 pm The companion volume sounds amazing.
The art too!!
skerrigan

Any new WFRP sounds exciting. The art looks sumptuous and reminiscent of the 1e with enough newness.

Do you think they'll make the August 2019 deadline?

Some of the encounters are from the Restless Dead/White Dwarf. I'm not familiar with the Pandemonium Caravan, and when I ran Restless Dead I skipped the Hidden Jewel - is that the one that purports to be an alternative star to TEW?

Isn't the Oldenhaller Contract part of the TEW? It was under James Wallis - the Oldenhaller dynasty appear in Carrion up the Reik and would've been in Empire in Chaos.

I hope the ready made characters are the original ones from the 1E TEW. The Starter Set ones (especially the polygamous huggy halfling) aren't quite to my taste, though I spy two of them on the cover of the adventure.
Verdant Castellan of Bretonnia and Purveyor of the Perilous Realm Podcast
Theo

skerrigan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:12 pmSome of the encounters are from the Restless Dead/White Dwarf. I'm not familiar with the Pandemonium Caravan, and when I ran Restless Dead I skipped the Hidden Jewel - is that the one that purports to be an alternative star to TEW?
The Affair of the Hidden Jewel is a lightweight swashbuckling adventure with no supernatural elements at all IIRC. The PCs get involved in a wicked nobleman's scheme to find an outlaw band's hidden treasure. Every NPC is explicitly a stock character from old adventure stories. It actually looks kind of fun for a "breather episode".

skerrigan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:12 pmIsn't the Oldenhaller Contract part of the TEW? It was under James Wallis - the Oldenhaller dynasty appear in Carrion up the Reik and would've been in Empire in Chaos.
Only in the sense that Wallis made a reference to it in Carrion up the Reik. Before that, there was no suggestion of any connection except, of course, that many groups might have played The Oldenhaller Contract first since it was the starter adventure (I think there may be a mention or two of that in Shadows Over Bogenhafen as well, but no more than a mention).
Capitaneus Fractus

Theo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:38 amOnly in the sense that Wallis made a reference to it in Carrion up the Reik. Before that, there was no suggestion of any connection except, of course, that many groups might have played The Oldenhaller Contract first since it was the starter adventure (I think there may be a mention or two of that in Shadows Over Bogenhafen as well, but no more than a mention).
Well, in fact, the conclusion of "The Oldenhaller Contract" suggest that player characters might flee Nuln toward Bögenhafen in order to play "Shadow Over Bögenhafen". "The Oldenhaller Contract" was presented as a potential initial introduction to that scenario, before "Mistaken Identity" was published.

Now, "The Oldenhaller Contract" is easier to place during the early Death on the Reik. Hieronymous Blitzen not only suggest player characters to seek for Etelka near Nuln, but also send his apprentice to the University of Nuln in order to get his mandatory licence of magic (as it is indicated in Reams of Sorcery). The elder of the University of Nuln (I've forgot her exact title) grant the licence to the player (with the other required notables). She however known that Albrecht Oldenhaller is seeking for a group to get something and she owe a debt to the patrician, like many in Nuln, so she do her possible to make player characters to accept the (well paid) contract.

It is still early enough to make sense during Carrion up the Reik. I feel that "The Oldenhaller Contract" do not really work before "Mistaken Identity". The best is to use some bucolic adventures: The initial attack of mutants should be a chock, not something players characters get used to meet daemons and mutants...
Last edited by Capitaneus Fractus on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veniam, Duelli Malleum, phantasticum ludum personae uidebo, in fera terra periculosorum aduenturorum ludebam.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

Capitaneus Fractus wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 amWell, in fact, the conclusion of "The Oldenhaller Contract" suggest that player characters might flee Nuln toward Bögenhafen in order to play "Shadow Over Bögenhafen". "The Oldenhaller Contract" was presented as a potential initial introduction to that scenario, before "The Mistaken Identity" was published.
I haven't got the rulebook to hand, but i wonder if that was a change made by James Wallis to the Oldhaller Contract in the Hogshead edition of the rulebook.
Capitaneus Fractus

My rulebook is the French one, by Descartes éditeur. As far as I know, the sole edition of the rulebook was directly translated from the rulebook edited by Games Workshop. If I'm recalling correctly, Shadow over Bögenhafen is even noted "to be translated" or "to be published"...
Veniam, Duelli Malleum, phantasticum ludum personae uidebo, in fera terra periculosorum aduenturorum ludebam.
macd21

Andy Law has confirmed that the pregens will not be the ones from the starter set.
Theo

totsuzenheni wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:29 am
Capitaneus Fractus wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 amWell, in fact, the conclusion of "The Oldenhaller Contract" suggest that player characters might flee Nuln toward Bögenhafen in order to play "Shadow Over Bögenhafen". "The Oldenhaller Contract" was presented as a potential initial introduction to that scenario, before "The Mistaken Identity" was published.
I haven't got the rulebook to hand, but i wonder if that was a change made by James Wallis to the Oldhaller Contract in the Hogshead edition of the rulebook.
I think it was there from the start - it's in my copy of the 1E rulebook which I think is pre-Hogshead (don't have it with me right now). Still, it barely qualifies as a connection. :)
Gideon

1. The Oldenhaller Contract has to my knowledge never been part of The Enemy Within campaign. The original GW printing ending the adventure with a suggestion to follow it up with The Enemy Within, but that was just an invitation to buy GW's products, not an implication that they were part of the same campaign.

I suppose in the Hogshead printing the text was changed to refer to Shadows Over Bögenhafen, in line with Hogshead's renaming of the adventures.

'Carrion Up the Reik', which was added to the Hogshead release of Power Behind the Throne, alluded to The Oldenhaller Contract, but that was a subsequent addition, and even then The Oldenhaller Contract was not described as part of TEW.

2. The White Dwarf adventure that was styled as an alternative introduction to TEW was 'The Ritual' (WD99), though it has nothing to connect to TEW except its location in Delberz.

3. 'The Pandemonium Carnival' was an encounter written by Mike Brunton and printed in Apocrypha 2: Charts of Darkness. It described a peripatetic freakshow.
Ralph

macd21 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:15 am Andy Law has confirmed that the pregens will not be the ones from the starter set.
I'm honestly pretty undecided whether I like that or not. :D
sx dwarf

Ralph wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:58 pm I'm honestly pretty undecided whether I like that or not. :D
I prefer a new set of pregen characters because the ones from the starter set didn't follow character creation rules of the core book.
Ralph

sx dwarf wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:59 am
Ralph wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:58 pm I'm honestly pretty undecided whether I like that or not. :D
I prefer a new set of pregen characters because the ones from the starter set didn't follow character creation rules of the core book.
They didn't so that they could be used with the simplified rules from the set. It's clearly stated in the set (in the paragraph about XP for Making the Rounds) that they will publish the complete and full-rules compatible character sheets for these characters on their website, and these plans have been verified by several C7 sources, so they are still coming, and it shouldn't be too long now, since the Set is being sent out now.
Pan_Carlo

Loving the cover artwork, the Companion is very reminiscent of Ian Miller, and the Enemy in Shadows cover shows a distinct grotesque sense of fun, much like the work of Paul Bonner.
Gideon

Pan_Carlo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:59 am Loving the cover artwork, the Companion is very reminiscent of Ian Miller.
Yes, it's a reworking of an Ian Miller drawing from Shadows Over Bögenhafen.

Orin J.

look at the two of them together like that, i think the original is better in spite of the obvious flaws. the new one is...too cluttered and lacking in forboding. i get what the artist is going for but they really needed to ease off on the housing piling into the picture, it just looks like a mess. at least the first one tells you "city ahead". this one you don't know where you are.
Capitaneus Fractus

Cover illustrations tend to follow distinct necessities than illustrations within books. However, I find that WFRP1's within illustrations are, globally, without common measure, far superior than most of WFRP2's, WFRP3's and what we've seen from WFRP4's within illustrations. Albeit some of them, like Miller's one, might look a bit "dated" (that isn't the case of many others of that time).

That doesn't necessary come from illustrators' talents (albeit I tend to think that ink on paper require way more drawing skills than numeric painting), but I feel it come, in part, from illustrators' medium. Ink on paper enlighten more the mature aspects of the illustration (when those exist). Numeric painting tend to hardly leave the crest that divide good talent and very bad taste. With them, du sublime au ridicule, il n'est qu'un pas.

That bing said, I have no problems with those cover art, except that I feel a bit ridiculous to see those men who always have their weapons in their hands. The guy with guns keep them in his two hands in the two scenes... That is grotesque.