Panhandle

The enemy lurks in shadows
SuperBidi

Hello everyone,

I haven't seen any topic about Panhandle talent on these boards. Still, I'm pretty sure a lot of new players are guessing: I rolled Beggar for my career, should I reroll it? Is Beggar a valid career up to rank 4? How do I build an optimized Beggar?
A lot of questions that I will gladly answer right now.

You rolled Beggar for a career? Rejoice, you have one of the strongest careers in the game. Especially in the early game, even if you will stay competitive up to the late game, just a little less impressive. Let's see how to optimized your little gem of a character.

To be a good Beggar, you ideally need to be a Halfling for the Fellowship bonus and grab Suave in your random talents. If you rolled human and Warrior Born or Hardy, don't be sad as you can compensate your crappy starting talents with sheer skill. Obviously, you need to raise Charm (put 10 ranks in there at startup) and Fellowship (increase it with your first experience points). And take Panhandle. Raise it as much as you can while you are Rank 1 as you won't be able to do so in the future (at least not without GM permission).

So, let's take the classical Halfling Pauper, with Suave, a few advances in Fellowship, the 10 starting advances in Charm and Panhandle rank 2. This is a character you can get after a single adventure. Let's call it Paupy.
Now, let's put Paupy in a busy street of a main city, Altdorf or Ubersreik.
Let's say Paupy has 60 in Fellowship (2d10+30+5+5 or 10 advances), and 10 in Charm. As he is in a busy city, the GM will certainly use the Average difficulty (+20) for his tests. On average, with Panhandle 2, he'll earn 37.26 pfennigs per half hour, or 74.52 per hour.
Let's say Paupy is not exactly the most hard-working Halfling ever. 5 hours of work per day is enough for him. So Paupy gains 372.6 pfennigs a day or 31.05 shillings or 1.5525 gold crowns (let's say 1.5 gold crowns as you need to maintain your Brass 0 status).
So every day he should get back home with a pound of coins. Use them to equip the party. Choose the equipment yourself, you are paying for their armor, the least they can do is to wear your colors.

Now, Paupy the Halfling Pauper got a name for himself. He's now known as His Majesty, Paupy the Beggar King. He has 20 advances in both Fellowship and Charm, 5 levels of Panhandle and a magnificent spot on Königplatz.
His Majesty earns now 77.42 pfennigs per half hour, 154.84 per hour. His Majesty loves his job and works for a nice 8 hours a day. As such he earns an outstanding 1238.72 pfennigs a day (2.5 pounds of coins, he should no more accept pfennigs) or 103.226 shillings or 5.1613 gold crowns. He uses 3 shillings a day to maintain your incredible Silver 2 status and puts the remaining 5 gold crowns in the bank (as he just got the Banking Endeavor with his rank 4, which is pretty logical considering he is one of the biggest earners in Altdorf).
At that rank, 5 gold crowns a day is not as astounding as it used to be, but Paupy should still secure more money on a good day than a Noble Lord in a week. So, continue to buy equipment to your fellow adventurer, a big manor, too, with your colors everywhere obviously.

As you can see, Beggar is a very powerful career in a party, especially early on. You'll help everyone get the best weapons and equipment right from the start.
Unfortunately, Beggars are not loved much and your party will certainly have mixed feelings about Paupy despite his kindness. Life isn't fair in Warhammer...