WFRP 2024 Plans

The enemy lurks in shadows
FasterThanJesus

Seems like a while since I last did one of these, but Cubicle 7 have dropped info on their plans for 2024.
  • Dwarf book well into production
  • High Elves (Ulthuan)
  • Chaos books
  • Marienburg
So, finally we're going to get an elven supplement. Any odds on GW suddenly deciding to revoke the license?
Zisse

How did the licensing end for 2e and 3e? For 1e I remember that James Wallis gave it back and it wasn't revoked. I have no information to doubt this official version.
Zisse

On what's upcoming: while I am very happy that C7 is producing so much and I also appreciate the small PDF adventures, I have a growing feeling of disappointment that they don't have a small campaign or a full one book adventure further up in the pipeline.
Or am I the only one preferring adventures over splat books?
Or is it, because splat books are easier to produce than adventures?
FasterThanJesus

Zisse wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:26 am How did the licensing end for 2e and 3e? For 1e I remember that James Wallis gave it back and it wasn't revoked. I have no information to doubt this official version.
I was just being a bit facetious as we never get an elf supplement. I'm not sure about 1e, but 2e just stopped making money.
Zisse wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:32 am On what's upcoming: while I am very happy that C7 is producing so much and I also appreciate the small PDF adventures, I have a growing feeling of disappointment that they don't have a small campaign or a full one book adventure further up in the pipeline.
I agree, we could could with a single book sized adventure. We seem to have either campaigns (depending on how one views the Ubersreik books) or scenarios right now.

There was the old claim the C7 CEO that there was a large campaign in the works starting in Marienburg and traveling through Albion, Nagaroth, Ulthuan and then Lustria. Given the material of the past year and what is announced, we're only missing Albion and Nagaroth. Could be that they're laying the groundwork for said campaign, or at least visiting the places the proto campaign was intending.
Zisse

FasterThanJesus wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:07 am
I was just being a bit facetious as we never get an elf supplement. I'm not sure about 1e, but 2e just stopped making money.
So I hope 4e keeps making money, so we see the campaign
Last edited by Zisse on Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karanthir

FasterThanJesus wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:07 am
Zisse wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:26 am How did the licensing end for 2e and 3e? For 1e I remember that James Wallis gave it back and it wasn't revoked. I have no information to doubt this official version.
Not sure what the financial situation was. But FFG acquired the license for WFRP and decided they want to do a new edition (3e) instead of continuing with 2e. The only official announcement I can remember about the end of 3e is that FFG considered the line to be "complete". There was stuff going on behind the scenes as well, like the main developer having health problems (can't remember the exact details). Again, though, not sure about the financial side.
Totsuzenheni Yukimi

I was going to ask if anyone wanted to place bets on whether or not Cubicle 7 loses the licence before they get to publish the High Elf supplement, but it seems people are ahead of me on that.
FasterThanJesus

Karanthir wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:37 am Not sure what the financial situation was. But FFG acquired the license for WFRP and decided they want to do a new edition (3e) instead of continuing with 2e. The only official announcement I can remember about the end of 3e is that FFG considered the line to be "complete". There was stuff going on behind the scenes as well, like the main developer having health problems (can't remember the exact details). Again, though, not sure about the financial side.
You're right, I completely forgot that FFG picked up the license and finished the last couple of 2e supplements before 3e. What I did remember was the downgrade from only hardback full colour to softback monochrome with costs and sales cited.
Zisse

I just watched an interview by the German Orkenspalter TV with Padraig from C7. He elaborates a bit on the campaign and a Chaos themed adventure (?), where they would like to delve into the world of mutants in the Empire that don't want to give in to the ruinous powers.
https://youtu.be/V0WagESLxkM (skip to 31:20)
Hyarion

Zisse wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:32 am On what's upcoming: while I am very happy that C7 is producing so much and I also appreciate the small PDF adventures, I have a growing feeling of disappointment that they don't have a small campaign or a full one book adventure further up in the pipeline.
Definitely not the only one. You can only run through the same adventures so many times before it's just not interesting and all of us (particularly GMs) can use a bit of an 'external injection of creativity' from time to time. I'd rather see a nice middle ground between quick adventures like C7 has been releasing in PDF and Ubersreik adventures and full multi-episodic epic sagas like TEW.

Approximately the length of each of the sections of Paths of the Damned is what feels like the sweet spot (for me).
I hold the glaive of Law against the Earth.
Karanthir

FasterThanJesus wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:12 am You're right, I completely forgot that FFG picked up the license and finished the last couple of 2e supplements before 3e. What I did remember was the downgrade from only hardback full colour to softback monochrome with costs and sales cited.
Fair enough. I didn't know about the reason behind switching to softback monochrome. Sounds like there was a lot going on.
Zekiel

I also wish we had some decent-length adventures. I do like the little ones, but we have a HUGE amount of those available for 4th ed, whereas the only full-length adventures we have are the Enemy Within.

I'm also very interested in the idea of a world-hopping campaign, particularly if we get to go to Albion (which I'd love to see detailed!) and Lustria.

Conversely I'm not very interested in an Ulthuan book, but I do trust that Cubicle 7 can make a good job of it given their track record.
sx dwarf

Karanthir wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:37 am
Not sure what the financial situation was. But FFG acquired the license for WFRP and decided they want to do a new edition (3e) instead of continuing with 2e. The only official announcement I can remember about the end of 3e is that FFG considered the line to be "complete". There was stuff going on behind the scenes as well, like the main developer having health problems (can't remember the exact details). Again, though, not sure about the financial side.
You mean, FFG considered that the playtesting for their Genesys System to be complete...
Karanthir

sx dwarf wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:47 am You mean, FFG considered that the playtesting for their Genesys System to be complete...
Quite possibly